cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default History/Purpose of this Board?

I must admit I found this board quite by accident after a conversation with a ward clerk. I am not an apostate from CougarBoard so not a part of that particular refugee camp. Yet I have found this site to contain a generally high quality of repartee and a good mix of opinions. Personal attacks are minimal and nothing that can't be handled.

More and more, however, it sounds like CG is essentially a little sister to CB. Is the real raison d'etre of CG to serve as a CB auxiliary? Was CG founded to be exclusively a haven for disenchanted CB'ers? Most importantly, is a single woman with a "Yewt" undergrad, a passing interest in football and a liberal religious bent simply out of place here? Be honest, I don't want to be a parody or continue to waste my time and yours. Perhaps a simple mission statement would suffice.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
More and more, however, it sounds like CG is essentially a little sister to CB.
Oh no you di int!

To your main point, keep posting. I like you here.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike is the best one to articulate a mission statement. Going where the brave dare not venture, I would venture to say we aim to create a community independent of CB, even though the problems with CB spawned CG's existence.

Mike may have his own opinions and he has spent time and money developing it. I just offer useless opinions and ideas for new fora. To the extent, Mike disagrees he can chime in, as he is more than capable.

I don't see CG in any relation to CB. It resulted initially because CB didn't allow religious discussion, something many of us liked. I also asked for the Ute section, because we have many friends who are Utes and like to discuss religious matters. I also suggested a few others, such as Cycling, Literae Humaniores, Religious Studies and a few others. Mike graciously accommodated creating those.

So, my hope is a community where we share ideas, laughs, sorrows, without offending each other too often. As many academics who can tolerate us nonacademics are welcome. Engaging women, be they academics or just sports fans, are more than welcome, and those who just like repartee are also welcome. We do not wish this to become a haven for those who wish to destroy the Church, but those with misgivings are welcome. Mullahs who will allow borderlanders their own opinion may stay as well.

I can see no reason why you shouldn't be made to feel welcome, as college affiliation is of no moment, except at the pearly gates. I hope you stay even if your musical talents make me feel and look like a complete moron.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-17-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I must admit I found this board quite by accident after a conversation with a ward clerk. I am not an apostate from CougarBoard so not a part of that particular refugee camp. Yet I have found this site to contain a generally high quality of repartee and a good mix of opinions. Personal attacks are minimal and nothing that can't be handled.

More and more, however, it sounds like CG is essentially a little sister to CB. Is the real raison d'etre of CG to serve as a CB auxiliary? Was CG founded to be exclusively a haven for disenchanted CB'ers? Most importantly, is a single woman with a "Yewt" undergrad, a passing interest in football and a liberal religious bent simply out of place here? Be honest, I don't want to be a parody or continue to waste my time and yours. Perhaps a simple mission statement would suffice.
I don't know much about the deep dark history of CG since I'm still pretty new (and BK Packer ordered the archives closed to the general public). I'm a Ute who's never been to cougarboard (except when someone occasionally links to a funny post) and I doubt I ever will. I avoid the BYU sports topics here since I see sports through crimson colored glasses, but nobody's ever made me feel less than welcome.

Keep posting here. You have good things to say.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
More and more, however, it sounds like CG is essentially a little sister to CB.
I just joined this site today, but I had the same question.

I am curious why you feel that CG is more and more a little sister to CB?

Is it:

1. The daily obsessing/complaining about CB?
2. The daily posts regarding the policies/owner of CB?
3. The daily debate about what happens on CB?
4. The daily nose thumbing over the perceived lack of intelligent conversation on CB?
5. The daily visits 90% of this board make to read CB?
6. All of the above

Just curious.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 10-17-2007 at 11:11 PM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I just joined this site today, but I had the same question.

I am curious why you feel that CG is more and more a little sister to CB?

Is it:

1. The daily obsessing/complaining about CB?
2. The daily posts regarding the policies/owner of CB?
3. The daily debate about what happens on CB?
4. The daily nose thumbing over the perceived lack of intelligent conversation on CB?
5. The daily visits 90% of this board make to read CB?
6. All of the above

Just curious.
Some of that arises from CB rejects seeking a place of refuge here, and being open to free expression, we don't suppress it. However, there's plenty discussion unrelated to CB.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here becaseu Steelblue told me there was a cycling forum, alhtough I understand one of the primary reasons the board was created was to allow greater freedom in posting about religion (which fits well with your sel-descrition). To be honest, I don't visit CB too much anymore and I very rarely post there. I also get a little tired of the comments here devoted to complaining about this or that on CB (although I still tend to read them). This sort of goes in cycles, however. As with other topics you might not like, if the CB stuff annoys, don't read it.

I suspect that only you can decide if you feel comfortable enough to stay here. Would you really change your mind based upon what we might say in this thread? I doubt it. Speaking for myself, I hope you do stick around as it is more interesting to have more divergent viewpoints. Plus, I like your taste in music.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

It totally is a little sister (or brother) to CB. There are a few of us here who are not CBers, but the vast majority are CB refugees. And thats fine, as it brought together what I consider a really cool group of people.

I'm always curious what brought people to cougarguard, if not cougarboard. It's basically a referral only option, as I've tried googling "BYU sports board" or "BYU message board" and in the past it hasn't shown up on the top page or two. Flirting with a ward clerk is unprecedented, to the best of my knowledge, except of course for YOhio, but that was an Assistant ward clerk over finances, and thus doesn't count.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Flirting with a ward clerk is unprecedented, to the best of my knowledge, except of course for YOhio, but that was an Assistant ward clerk over finances, and thus doesn't count.
Just to clarify some things.

The "YOhio is gay" stuff is offensive to me.

For the record, I'm attracted to women. In fact, I've been married to one for almost two years now. I am not attracted to men in the least.

I know in the past I have played along with the jabs about my sexuality, but that was just to see if doing so would get rid of it. Didn't work.

Ignoring it doesn't diminish it. Playing along doesn't make it come up less.

I've been much more civil here recently and I still get that crap.

Which leads me to believe that the only reason people play the "YOhio is a fag" card is that they are being assholes for the sake of being assholes.

So from now on anyone who goes there has no excuse. You know it offends me. If you choose to label me as a homosexual, you're being a jerk for no reason.

Thanks.

*waits for 23 responses of "YOhio's a fag," combined with a few vaseline references.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Just to clarify some things.

The "YOhio is gay" stuff is offensive to me.

For the record, I'm attracted to women. In fact, I've been married to one for almost two years now. I am not attracted to men in the least.

I know in the past I have played along with the jabs about my sexuality, but that was just to see if doing so would get rid of it. Didn't work.

Ignoring it doesn't diminish it. Playing along doesn't make it come up less.

I've been much more civil here recently and I still get that crap.

Which leads me to believe that the only reason people play the "YOhio is a fag" card is that they are being assholes for the sake of being assholes.

So from now on anyone who goes there has no excuse. You know it offends me. If you choose to label me as a homosexual, you're being a jerk for no reason.

Thanks.

*waits for 23 responses of "YOhio's a fag," combined with a few vaseline references.
If you would stop sending us roses, it would help.