cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Jennerstein

Jennerstein
Default Comments post USU

1. I really think we showed the effects of the bye week. It was UNI all over again. We got out to a big lead, went on cruise control, and the opponent gained momentum and started making us look silly. UNI was forgivable since it was the first game of the season. I don't know if BYU can use the excuse of a bye week for its lack of execution. However, more often than not, I see teams come out of bye weeks not sharp (USC and UCLA are headline examples this season).

That being said, I don't mind having a patsy scheduled for the game following the bye week. Gives us a chance to warm up to the 2nd half of the season.

2. Our barometer for how good this team will be - TCU. More than likely, we will beat NM. It's a home game, NM is missing Porterie, and Bronco has shown the ability to correct miscues that occur from lack of weekly play. My greatest concern for the team this year is how they will play on the road. 2007's team "struggled" with road games. Lost both out of conference road games. The only road game we won handily was against Wyoming. UNLV was an ugly showing for the team. SDSU game was close in the third and fourth quarter.

3. I'm not going to get too uptight with a mediocre performance against USU; I am content with a win. They're college kids, I expect less than stellar performances once in a while. If the caliber of play required for us fans to be happy is a UCLA performance, we're not going to be happy very often. That type performance happens rarely, perhaps once every few seasons.

Examples of Jennerstein's happy vs content states:

BYU's performance against the Aggies: Unhappy but content.
BYU's performance against Wyoming: Happy and content.
BYU's performance against Boston College (2006): Happy but not content.
BYU's performance against Tulsa: Unhappy and not content.
BYU's performance against UofU (2007): Happy and content.
BYU's performance aginst UofU (2006): Happy and content.
USC's performance against tOSU: Happy and content.
USC's performance against OSU: Happy and content.

4. Max Hall needs to spread the ball around. Chambers needs to get the ball. George needs to get the ball. Ashworth needs to get the ball. Hafoka (when healthy) needs to get the ball. We're dangerous when other teams don't know who is going to get the ball. I have faith Doman can correct this. Someone do an analysis on whether there is a direct correlation between bad QB play and puppy accidents.

5. Our special teams will lose us a game if we don't tighten things up.

6. Travis Bright looks like he takes steroids. Good Gosh. But what the heck was he doing wearing red in a family picture. BYU TV needed to photoshop that.

7. My odds for BYU going undefeated are 40-60.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

If you think about it the starters before this game had played a total of roughly 4 quarters in the last month.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

What was good about the USU game was that the starters had to play the entire game, and they saw that they're not invincible like some of the press clippings say they are. The game was a solid dose of reality at the right time. Now we're coming into mid season and the corrections will be made. We're missing Reed but he'll be back soon. Hopefully our defensive backups get some solid reps. I expect BYU will take UNM out of the game early like they've done to all of their opponents lately. Cougs won't lose in Provo this year, but the games against the best teams in the conference are on the road.
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote