cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pride: cycle stroke indicator

head or shoulders moving?

If you are bobbing your head, your cycle stroke is uneven and inefficient.

Cycling introduces the second definition of flatbacking it. Look at your shadow, your shoulders should be perfectly still. Sometimes when charging up a hill, or standing, or sprinting it's okay for weaving and bobbing, but the standard should be smooth.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Look at your shadow, your shoulders should be perfectly still. Sometimes when charging up a hill, or standing, or sprinting it's okay for weaving and bobbing, but the standard should be smooth.
You have a trainer yet, Pride? I guess you won't use it until the temperatures drop again, but it'll help for working on this stuff. I'm like you, a beginner's beginner. The trainer has helped me keep an eye on my mistakes:

One, you can put it next to a mirror and see yourself while you ride.
Two, you'll also have aural indicators from the sound your pedaling makes on the trainer.

(The boys can correct this or add to this as appropriate.)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
head or shoulders moving?

If you are bobbing your head, your cycle stroke is uneven and inefficient.

Cycling introduces the second definition of flatbacking it. Look at your shadow, your shoulders should be perfectly still. Sometimes when charging up a hill, or standing, or sprinting it's okay for weaving and bobbing, but the standard should be smooth.
I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm doing that as far as I can tell... I'll pay more attention to that next time I ride. I went on a ride this morning... It was beautiful! Plus I loved having to slow down for my FIL, his brother and his brothers son after going up the big hills.. especially since the son is close to my age, extremely competitive with me and was talking trash to begin with because he has a year of riding already under his belt and I'm just a super novice.. He asks me all these questions I usually don't know anything about to make himself feel cooler I guess. Oh well...

I'm usually keeping my back pretty straight I think with my knees in. My FIL also mention to keep my elbows in as well... I assume that's to keep my back straight?

Also, I haven't lost any weight I don't think... My weight fluctuates between 187 to 192. I've gained a belt loop and I feel better, I guess my stomach is a little flatter, but I haven't really lost anything.. My dad said it's because I'm building muscle and of course that weighs more than fat, but he said, I'll soon start dropping some serious pounds if I stick to what I'm doing... Thoughts?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 04-28-2007 at 04:36 PM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You have a trainer yet, Pride? I guess you won't use it until the temperatures drop again, but it'll help for working on this stuff. I'm like you, a beginner's beginner. The trainer has helped me keep an eye on my mistakes:

One, you can put it next to a mirror and see yourself while you ride.
Two, you'll also have aural indicators from the sound your pedaling makes on the trainer.

(The boys can correct this or add to this as appropriate.)
I don't, but I'm definitely going to get one late in the fall, or maybe sooner.. My wife says I get grouchy when I don't get to ride... so maybe I should get one for the rainy days... I'd never thought of riding in front of a mirror to check out mistakes. My problem is I don't know much of what I'm supposed to be looking for other than what's been shared here and advice from my FIL. I guess I can just admire how funny I look in my bibs...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Archaea

It sounds as if you have talent. The nice thing about cycling is it rewards workers, even those such as I without talent.

Cycling can be enjoyed for fitness, for recreation or for competition. It has gadgets for gadget geeks, difficulties for challenge hungry guys and gals. It has beautiful vistas, beautiful women and bodies. It has it all.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
bYuPride

Drafting up hill? My FIL was following me pretty closely up one of the hills this morning and I thought it was strange... I just thought about that right now....

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Drafting up hill? My FIL was following me pretty closely up one of the hills this morning and I thought it was strange... I just thought about that right now....
Drafting reduces workload by as much as forty percent, or so the math predicts.

Lance had his team surround him for most an entire leg until they burned out.

I can frequently almost touch the tire in front when I'm drafting being two to three inches away.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Drafting reduces workload by as much as forty percent, or so the math predicts.

Lance had his team surround him for most an entire leg until they burned out.

I can frequently almost touch the tire in front when I'm drafting being two to three inches away.
So was he drafting behind me then?! I just had never thought of drafting up hill... only on flats..

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
So was he drafting behind me then?! I just had never thought of drafting up hill... only on flats..
Part of working a hill is cadence, if somebody else does the mental work of pressing the hill, it saves you energy.