cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question for VAX77--

what is your take on why Crowton's teams seemed to get worse as the year went on?

Strong starts, weak finishes.

Did Crowton lose respect from the players over the years?

Was there ever a perception that honor code issues were don't ask/ don't tell?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
VAX77

VAX77

If I honestly had to guess what the intial downfall was, it might be broken down to two to three things. Some would argue there are more, but I think it is 2-3.

1.) Archibald breaking his leg. People seem to forget about Ben, but he was better than J. Gross for the Utes and he was the teams leader in terms of talent, ability, and lockerroom presence. On the field, after he got hurt, the whole team was in a daze and really never recovered. That carried over to the season, despite wins vs. Syracuse and Hawaii. They were overrated to be sure.

2.) The team thought a 2nd season like 2001 was destiny, in all honesty and just like some on the eagles have said now, just because you have been there in the past does not mean you will be there in the future.

3.) I hate to blame anything on injuries, but many happened. BYU and other mid-majors cannot afford to lose any starters.

Thats my take.

Crowton did lose some respect from players because he tried to do too many things, IMO, instead of delegating. He is a great mind, but did not surround himself with the right talent. Also, he was kind of forced to keep some coaches on when he arrived.

He was very vocal on the honor code issues. He made things clear and was pretty understanding, always asking players to come to him if they had any issues, etc. so he could get them proper help. He was a great guy when it comes to that.
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate your thoughts. Esp. good to hear that about the honor code. Not that I love the HC, but just that I wonder if GC, at least by inference and implication, was impugned over the HC fiascos.

Of course the gossipy part of me wants to know who the coaches were that were "not the right talent." Or do you mean players?

Is Bosco someone that underservedly got a bad rap? Or did he deserve it? The thing that made me not trust Bosco so much is the notion that Utah/Provo was the most important thing, and football was the kind of job he was most qualified for. In other words, he had no ambition to succeed as a football coach, but rather wanted a nice job in Provo. But maybe that is too cynical.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote