cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default OK when did Arizona become a good football team?

So the past couple of years all I have been hearing from BYU fans was how terrible Arizona's football team was. They were easily the worst team in the Pac-10 and were going nowhere. Now I do not disagree they were terrible. What I am wondering is now BYU fans are talking up Arizona as a good team going into next year. Of course it is no coincidence that BYU is playing Arizona.

I would like to pose this question on the other site, where all this praise of Arizona is coming from, however, I am not allowed. So could the BYU fans on this site tell me why this 3-8 team is now a quality opponent?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

They did make strides at the end of last season when they changed QBs. I think they started off 1-5 and finished off 3-4, including a win v. UCLA. Now, while Arizona certainly isn't the cream of the Pac-10, they are better than they were 2 years ago, and improved over last season as well.

As one who likes to consider himself an objective Cougar fan (ie I'll give Utah their props and BYU its criticism when it's deserved) I think that Arizona really is turning it around.

The fact that BYU just happens to be on their schedule this year is pure coincidence, IMO.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I agree that Arizona will be a better team next year, but they are still not a quality opponent. They are not as some BYU fans are saying right now, a tougher opponent next year then the Utes. Then again it is only IdaCoug making this claim, so maybe I should consider the source

I think Arizona will improve, but they will still be at best around 6-6 if not still under 500. People have been saying Arizona will make the jump the past 3 years, and it just has not happened.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think BYU will beat the hell out Arizona. I will be shocked if BYU doesn't win by at least 14 points.

I'm not even saying that with blue tinted glasses on. Ute fans have to agree that BYU has a very, very good offense that will be running on high from day one b/c of continuity in the system.

Yes the defense will be bad, but it can't be as bad (IMO) as last season. Arizona should get better, but BYU will pound them.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh knock it off Funk, you already know the answer to this. Arizona became a good team shortly after Cal became the most underrated team in the Pac-10 (and the best unranked team in the land), Georgia Tech became the most overrated BCS team, and Utah State suddenly became a respectable opponent again.

Duh.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGZ
Personally, I think BYU will beat the hell out Arizona. I will be shocked if BYU doesn't win by at least 14 points.

I'm not even saying that with blue tinted glasses on. Ute fans have to agree that BYU has a very, very good offense that will be running on high from day one b/c of continuity in the system.

Yes the defense will be bad, but it can't be as bad (IMO) as last season. Arizona should get better, but BYU will pound them.
I agree that the BYU offense will be very good, but until I see it happen, I can't say that the defense will be any better. I figure BYU will have to outscore the other team to get wins and I beleive the offense is very capable of going that.

As for the Arizona team, I have no idea how bad or good they'll be. I only saw them play Utah last year and they didn't look very good. I do agree with mp's point that it seems several BYU fans have decided that Arizona is better for the simple reason that the Wildcat's are on BYU's schedule.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I agree that the BYU offense will be very good, but until I see it happen, I can't say that the defense will be any better. I figure BYU will have to outscore the other team to get wins and I beleive the offense is very capable of going that.

As for the Arizona team, I have no idea how bad or good they'll be. I only saw them play Utah last year and they didn't look very good. I do agree with mp's point that it seems several BYU fans have decided that Arizona is better for the simple reason that the Wildcat's are on BYU's schedule.

I don't think Arizona is better simply because they are on BYU's schedule, but because they were improving down the strech. Why I think BYU wins big? Because I don't think 'Zona will have the offense clicking right off the start while I believe BYU's will be. I think BYU will get a quick 14 or 17-0 lead before Zona's offense begins to realize what they can do on poor, poor BYU's defense.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote