cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Whit is not a coach who does well when the game is tight. The entire team freezes up and gets tentative, again, reflecting the coach's personality and mental fortitude (lack thereof).

Ute fans are doing nothing but recognizing what they have seen time and time again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Whit is not a coach who does well when the game is tight. The entire team freezes up and gets tentative, again, reflecting the coach's personality and mental fortitude (lack thereof).

Ute fans are doing nothing but recognizing what they have seen time and time again.
Really? I can think of some very big tight games the Utes have won under Whittingham, including last week.

Regardless, he clearly knows how to put together a winning program. I don't know how much attention you've paid to Utah but except for Urban Meyer (who still hasn't built a big winner not on someone else's players) Whit is so far beyond anything they've had in my entire lifetime, and probably much better than they could ever get except by accident.

They ran Majerus out, and Ute fans (including big boosters like LAUte)were all starry eyed making lists of world class coaches the Utes would bring in to replace him. Predictably they couldn't hardly give the job away. Notice that Utah has no coach in its past that it has named anything after, who's a demi-god, like the great programs have. On the basketball side, several are deserving. I don't know what's wrong with Utah fans.

I actually blame a lot of this on Christ Hill. Paying proper respects to coaches needs to start with him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

The irony is you are thinking of games against very good teams, mostly at their stadiums, that to be fair and all things considered the Utes had no business being in in the first place.

But probably Whit's biggest win, three years ago against Georgia Tech in the Bowl game, was a total blow out.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Per Rich Rodriguez:

He said in the first half they were a little worried about the spread and Brian Johnsons running ability so they played zone so everyone was facing the line of scrimmage in case Johnson took off and they stayed in their assignments.

In the second half the players begged to play man because they felt like they were better athletes than Utah. They held Utah to 28 total yards in the 2nd half.

Sounds like Michigan just made a good adjustment, but it was to little to late.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
How about this? Michigan is a solid team coached by a proven excellent coach, was playing in front of its fans in one of the toughest, most storied venues in the country, and adjusted well after a bad start in their first game with a new coach.

I don't get idiot Ute fans who always have to beat up on their coach and team after a win like this one at Michigan for Chrissakes. What do they think Utah football is? A great tradition or something? And they complain about BYU's false pride.
A-freakin'-men.

Utes scored a TD with thirteen seconds left in the 1st half. No squandered timeouts. Perfect clock management at the end of both halves. So, now we have to find something else to complain about.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

new QB that could actually make a throw down field
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
new QB that could actually make a throw down field
It'll be interesting to see how much spread R.Rod runs with a 6'6 Threet. I can't imagine he'll be able to take many hits like he had on Saturday when Fotu and someone else took him down.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
It'll be interesting to see how much spread R.Rod runs with a 6'6 Threet. I can't imagine he'll be able to take many hits like he had on Saturday when Fotu and someone else took him down.
I think RR learned that he needs to back of his spread a little. The only time they moved the ball was then Threet was not running the spread. I think we will all see just how flexible RR is in the coming weeks because Threet (while not great) was the best option for getting the ball in the end zone and Threet can't run the spread for shit.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Really? I can think of some very big tight games the Utes have won under Whittingham, including last week.

Regardless, he clearly knows how to put together a winning program. I don't know how much attention you've paid to Utah but except for Urban Meyer (who still hasn't built a big winner not on someone else's players) Whit is so far beyond anything they've had in my entire lifetime, and probably much better than they could ever get except by accident.

They ran Majerus out, and Ute fans (including big boosters like LAUte)were all starry eyed making lists of world class coaches the Utes would bring in to replace him. Predictably they couldn't hardly give the job away. Notice that Utah has no coach in its past that it has named anything after, who's a demi-god, like the great programs have. On the basketball side, several are deserving. I don't know what's wrong with Utah fans.

I actually blame a lot of this on Christ Hill. Paying proper respects to coaches needs to start with him.
If there is one thing I like about you it is the fact that you have a better grasp on where Utah and BYU should be in the college football landscape. This is why I adore Mendenhall so much, I think he has BYU playing as good as it possibly could and probably better than it should be.