cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Mile swim

Yesterday Steelblue and I went out in the morning and did an open water mile swim at the lake.

I haven't swam for distance for about 7 years and have only swam laps once in the last 4 or 5 years. When I first started swimming 7 or 8 years ago I was much like MW, exhausted after a lap or 2. I eventually got to the point where I could swim a half mile without too much difficulty. But that was in the pool... 7+ years ago.

It took us about 50 minutes to do the whole thing. I haven't been that tired in a long time. It was totally unlike anything else that I do for exercise. The whole day I was just wiped out. Plus my appetite was crazy. I could not get enough food in me all day long.

Seriously, I can ride 100+ miles on a bike at a decent pace and not be that tired or hungry afterward. What gives?

And he wants to do it again next week.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a new set of muscles. Eventually, you won't notice it.

Swimming is actually the least demanding once you acquire some fitness. However, you're using upper muscles which you don't use in running or biking. Biking is also not too demanding. Hard running wipes me out. I did just three ten minute tempos this morning and am wiped out.

The swim is fun and delightful. However, it appears you are inefficient in your stroke and therefore you are fighting yourself. I'm just stating that based on time. Open water swimming can be fun.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I was pretty wiped out as well goose. I can do breast stroke all day and not feel it, but when I try to man up and swim freestyle like I'm supposed to it's 10X harder for me. I think next time we go (next week right?) I'm going to shoot for 1/2 freestyle.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
However, it appears you are inefficient in your stroke and therefore you are fighting yourself. I'm just stating that based on time. Open water swimming can be fun.
Care to elaborate on the swimming stroke. What are the most common errors in the water? I prefer freestyle, but have never been blazing fast. I've read a bit a few years ago, so I knowthe basics of the arm stroke and keeping the sternum low in the water. What else can I do to become more efficient? And yes, I understand getting in the water more than 2 twice in 7 years would help.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Swimming is about feel for still water.

It starts with the entry and the hands. A firm not thrashing entry is required.

You must keep hands at angle, don't break the wrist, elbows high through the pull. I sometimes drop my elbow when passing past my chest. A high elbow maintains power through pull.

Pull is an S pattern, and finish long, not short.

My guess is you are thrashing, dropping your elbow and pulling out short.

For example, my 2.4 mile swim is about 52 minutes. And I'm very average for a past college swimmer.

You are a fit enough athlete that you could swim faster, with less effort and have more fun, if you learned better technique.