cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goose, creek, steel and viking

have you ever experienced IT soreness the day after a great increase in distance and climbing.

yesterday I went about 90 with 8000 feet of climbing. This morning before jogging, I went and limbered up on the bike and noticed both IT bands being sore. Is this normal for you. it seems the serious climbing coupled with the huge increase in dstance stressed them. Do you guys agree or have you experienced this?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes. I'm just getting better from an itb inflammation that I sustained from running when I increased my distance by 100% one day. It took a full 12 weeks to be pain free. I finally had to quit doing anything with my legs for the last 6 of those weeks combined with lots of ultrasound and stretching (goose stretched me at his clinic when I was really tight then it got to where I could get by on my own). I also had this injury in cycling a couple of years ago. I rode my first century and then a week later rode in my second one. The second had a lot more climbing and I felt soreness after the first big climb of the day. I basically rode 80 miles with pain and then it took about 12 weeks to get rid of it (including 6 weeks of not cycling).

If I could give you any advice it would be to rest it immediately. I think in both instances if I had immediately ceased all leg training, used ultrasound, iced and taken anti-inflammatories I would have been back in the saddle within a month or less. But what I did was take anti's, back off my mileage, and use lots of ice. It was never enough. I had to learn the hard way to REST.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Oh yes. I'm just getting better from an itb inflammation that I sustained from running when I increased my distance by 100% one day. It took a full 12 weeks to be pain free. I finally had to quit doing anything with my legs for the last 6 of those weeks combined with lots of ultrasound and stretching (goose stretched me at his clinic when I was really tight then it got to where I could get by on my own). I also had this injury in cycling a couple of years ago. I rode my first century and then a week later rode in my second one. The second had a lot more climbing and I felt soreness after the first big climb of the day. I basically rode 80 miles with pain and then it took about 12 weeks to get rid of it (including 6 weeks of not cycling).

If I could give you any advice it would be to rest it immediately. I think in both instances if I had immediately ceased all leg training, used ultrasound, iced and taken anti-inflammatories I would have been back in the saddle within a month or less. But what I did was take anti's, back off my mileage, and use lots of ice. It was never enough. I had to learn the hard way to REST.
Well I went easy today but tomorrow's another day. I remember IT band problems every time I increase my climbing dramatically. Damn getting old.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well I went easy today but tomorrow's another day. I remember IT band problems every time I increase my climbing dramatically. Damn getting old.
That's what it was for me, increased climbing and two rides within a week of a distance I'd never done before. Getting old does suck. It seems like every time I make a serious effort to get into good cardio shape I get some kind of overuse injury. I miss those days when I was a teenager and could heal in a day or two. That's the main bitch I have about aging, just the amount of time it takes to heal.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Archaea

This was my first two hundred mile week in a long, long time.

I will need to make it to three hundred to be prepared for Lotoja or Desperado Duel.

Are you coming to ULCER?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
This was my first two hundred mile week in a long, long time.

I will need to make it to three hundred to be prepared for Lotoja or Desperado Duel.

Are you coming to ULCER?
I think I may be developing an Ulcer. But I sure as hell am not going to be racing anytime soon. I've just returned from my lame injury and can only tolerate runs of about 2 miles a couple times a week. I haven't even tried the bike yet as I fear the rpm's will wreak havoc on my poor itb. Don't think I'll be showing my ugly mug at any of the serious races you do.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think I may be developing an Ulcer. But I sure as hell am not going to be racing anytime soon. I've just returned from my lame injury and can only tolerate runs of about 2 miles a couple times a week. I haven't even tried the bike yet as I fear the rpm's will wreak havoc on my poor itb. Don't think I'll be showing my ugly mug at any of the serious races you do.

ULCER is a lazy man's ride in Utah Valley, no race, silly boy.

It is the world's flattest century known to man. I rode it before I knew what centuries were.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
ULCER is a lazy man's ride in Utah Valley, no race, silly boy.

It is the world's flattest century known to man. I rode it before I knew what centuries were.
That sounds nice. But I bet right now it would still be a bad idea for me. My hope is to be running 4 miles 3 times a week by the end of summer. I also hope to be doing at least a 30 mile ride each saturday by the end of the summer. If I can get there without pain then I think I'll have this itb thing beat.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
Archaea

August 11. Be there.

I bet we'll get you, goose, Paddy, byu pride, creekster and a few others. It's a cinch of a ride.