cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
catojordan77

catojordan77 is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts from a new fan.

I will admit I am fairly new to the BYU fan experience. I had always routed for whoever I felt would represent the state the best. But after attending and working for the U of U... I slowly became exclusively a BYU fan. This has been the first year I have closely followed the team. And there are a few things I am concerned about. I'm not sure if these problems have always existed (institutional problems) or if they are more an indication of the current coaching staff.

First off, I am kind of sick of hearing that "the other team didn't beat us, our team beat ourselves." I have heard this from both coaches and players. This concerns me for a number of reasons. Lack of humility for one. A sense of entitlement and the expectation of winning without fighting for it is another. It gives the impression that the team believes they are superior. Clearly this team isn't superior. How are they expected to improve or learn from their mistakes?

I also hear from both coach and player that "we just didn't execute." Sure you didn't execute. Max Hall didn't execute well at times. Payne didn't execute at times. The DBs didn't execute at times. There were dropped balls at times. Every team has troubles executing at one time or another. Even Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford don't execute at times. It seems to me that the team doesn't execute at the same time.

I kind of think there is a sense of entitlement from the coaches and players. It comes across as if they feel like they don't have to put in extra effort to win. But that is what sets the great teams apart from the good teams. Giving 110%. I didn't get the impression the team did that this year.

There is no reason to complain about a 10 win season, but I feel like we could have won at least 2 out of the 3 games we lost. I think TCU handed us a legit defeat. We definitely didn't beat ourselves in that game. But the UofA and UofU games were different.

I don't know, maybe this is just me having to vent but the sense of entitlement concerns me. I'm not sure if it was just an unlucky year or if there are some coaching problems. My neighbor seems to think that Bronco is more of a church educator or inspirational speaker than a coach (he also seems to think that Bronco isn't recruiting well: choosing to reward past player's families or those with connections instead of talent).

Anyway, just ramblings from a fan confused about the season. Anyone have thoughts on any of these... well thoughts?

Jordan
catojordan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

well, all in all, as mediocre as this feels, it was a lot worse at the end of the Lavell years, and certainly much worse during the Crowton years after 2001.

I think BYU players have always felt entitled. It's just that sometimes they win while feeling entitled, and sometimes they lose.

This year was a complete PR fiasco for BYU and Bronco. That didn't help.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Entitled to what?

Isn't entitlement merely a promise, in that particular sense? Where only if they they earn their reward and endure to the end, they will finally receive it?

Methinks some people believe they have won the lottery when all they have really achieved is the right to play the lottery.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Entitled to what?

Isn't entitlement merely a promise, in that particular sense? Where only if they they earn their reward and endure to the end, they will finally receive it?

Methinks some people believe they have won the lottery when all they have really achieved is the right to play the lottery.
I believe he is simply using entitlement as a euphemism for arrogance.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote