cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking back on the Obama debacle

I wasn't devastated when Obama won. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't devastated.

The worm turned for me when Eric Holder came in as Attorney General and said he would try to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban. There had already been a rush on guns prior to that, but it really ramped up after the statement, and the pro-2nd Amendment folks were on massive high alert, fully consternated and really pissed off.

Holder backed off his statement, but the damage was already done.

In other words, Holder really hurt Obama with that statement, in my opinion. He gained nothing politically (did not gain friends), but created significant enemies.

It was a sign that this administration has absolutely NO CLUE.

Pundits are saying all the other things--healthcare, bailouts, stimulus. And that's all true. But I don't hear anyone talking about this gun issue. And I truly believe it was significant turning point for Obama.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wasn't devastated when Obama won. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't devastated.

The worm turned for me when Eric Holder came in as Attorney General and said he would try to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban. There had already been a rush on guns prior to that, but it really ramped up after the statement, and the pro-2nd Amendment folks were on massive high alert, fully consternated and really pissed off.

Holder backed off his statement, but the damage was already done.

In other words, Holder really hurt Obama with that statement, in my opinion. He gained nothing politically (did not gain friends), but created significant enemies.

It was a sign that this administration has absolutely NO CLUE.

Pundits are saying all the other things--healthcare, bailouts, stimulus. And that's all true. But I don't hear anyone talking about this gun issue. And I truly believe it was significant turning point for Obama.
Obama's problem: he's a classical liberal in governing and in social issues, but he also has a big enough ego to want to win. In politics, a professional politician desires to know what votes one wins by taking a certain position and will take no position if it offends but wins no votes. The gun issue was classic.

Clinton just wanted to win and to be in power so he did as you have previously illustrated appeared to govern from the center. Obama's never made many overtures to the Center, not even low hanging fruit as you state.

Obama is supposed to be much more intelligent than how he is conducting himself. He is trending more towards Carter than Clinton. Let's hope the buffoonery continues.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Archaea

Here's CNN's analysis.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/...ex.html?hpt=T2

The bank bashing is in full tilt.

One thing I don't get about Dems is why they cater much to liberals, who don't have much to deliver on, and liberals don't have any where to go. If I were a Democratic president I'd govern exclusively from the center-right and only throw bones to the liberals who have nothing to offer and cost a lot to feed. So what if liberals bash Obama, he has nothing to fear from them as they are completely marginalized and placating them bankrupts the country and gives us nothing.

Reps can ignore them and cater exclusively to moderates, fiscal conservatives (ignoring social conservatives for the same reason) and libertarians.

Trying to govern from the left dooms the Democratic Party for failure. Of course the electorate likes the sound of free caviar for everybody, but who can afford it?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Here's CNN's analysis.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/...ex.html?hpt=T2

The bank bashing is in full tilt.

One thing I don't get about Dems is why they cater much to liberals, who don't have much to deliver on, and liberals don't have any where to go. If I were a Democratic president I'd govern exclusively from the center-right and only throw bones to the liberals who have nothing to offer and cost a lot to feed. So what if liberals bash Obama, he has nothing to fear from them as they are completely marginalized and placating them bankrupts the country and gives us nothing.

Reps can ignore them and cater exclusively to moderates, fiscal conservatives (ignoring social conservatives for the same reason) and libertarians.

Trying to govern from the left dooms the Democratic Party for failure. Of course the electorate likes the sound of free caviar for everybody, but who can afford it?
Why does the GOP cater to the Palin/Huckabee crowd?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Why does the GOP cater to the Palin/Huckabee crowd?
insanity.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people insist the stimulus hasn't saved jobs. And then there's this graph to remind them of just how bad things were when Obama took over:

ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The stimulus spent money we don't have.

We are literally going to stagger under the weight of our debt, we are on our way to becoming California. And Greece.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The stimulus spent money we don't have.

We are literally going to stagger under the weight of our debt, we are on our way to becoming California. And Greece.
Riiiight...
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote