cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road
Default Baltimore Marathon

Tomorrow. Sometimes I get a little nervous. I think I'm going to go throw up now.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post
Tomorrow. Sometimes I get a little nervous. I think I'm going to go throw up now.
Just make sure you don't forget to carb load in the meantime. I only did three marathons, but I never got over the nerves. Also, my worst fears never came to fruition.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

makes my bowels move just thinking about it.

Tomorrow I run a 25 k on dirt trails. It is the 1/2 distance race, most people are running the 50 k which is way to long for my liking. Now a 25 k (15.x miles) shouldn't be too bad except that it is the longest distance I have ever raced. To make it worse the start is at 7:00 am up at 7000 ft, and with the cold front rolling in it is supposed to get freezing. 20 degrees with a 50% chance of snow at the start. If I don't report back it is because I have died.

Oh and good luck.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Big Tuna. I look forward to the race report.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post
I always chug a slim-fast before a marathon. Brings me luck.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Take along a sidearm and substitute your running shirt for a bulletproof vest and you'll definetly finish the race.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright guys, let's hear some race reports.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Take along a sidearm and substitute your running shirt for a bulletproof vest and you'll definetly finish the race.
You've watched too many episodes of the Wire. We moved from Baltimore this past year, and we loved it there. A lot. That said, there are post-apocalyptic areas where you wonder if God had forsaken the residents.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

The course kicked my butt. It was hot and hilly and I finished in 4:14:54. But instead of getting all pissed off over it like I did in Pocatello, I decided that I was there to enjoy the race and was going to have a good time anyway.

This was a really cool race. I had wanted to do a big city marathon to see what it was like and I wasn't disappointed. All together there were more than 17,000 people participating between the 5k, Half, Relay and Marathon. The course was great. It started at the stadiums and passed by the harbor, Ft. McHenry, through a variety of neighborhoods, around a lake and ended up with a run through Camden Yards. We also ran past the USS Torsk, which was cool for me because my old man served on that submarine back in the day.

As for the mean streets of Baltimore, the course went mostly through the better parts of town, although there were a few neighborhoods where the locals just stared at us as if to wonder what all those white folks were running from.

So, even though I wasn't thrilled with my time, I still ran 26.2 miles and beat more than half the field. A much better way to spend the weekend than sitting on my butt in Pittsburgh.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #10
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Good report SC. Glad it went well.

Question - How do you typically feel a day or two after a marathon?

I was just wondering. After a big bike event, aside from my legs feeling tired and being totally hungry for a day or two, I feel fine and ready to return to normal life within 2 days. Is a marathon much different?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote