cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
NorCalCoug

NorCalCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Forex Managed Accounts

Does anyone on this board have experiance with Forex trading. I'm not looking at doing the trading myself as it's far more difficult and complicated than stocks but even the managed accounts seem to have pretty dang good returns. Was just hoping somebody else out there has experience in this area they'd like to share.

After a bit of research this is the company I was going to go with IF I decided to give this a go. A co-worker of mine swears by it but I'm not too sure:

http://www.fxcm.com/managed-accounts...s-programs.jsp
NorCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Smile I like the medium risk Sentiment account

I'm older and a 20% plus with medium risk is ok for stale cash. I've never been successful chasing the highest return in anything. Good luck.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCoug View Post
Does anyone on this board have experiance with Forex trading. I'm not looking at doing the trading myself as it's far more difficult and complicated than stocks but even the managed accounts seem to have pretty dang good returns. Was just hoping somebody else out there has experience in this area they'd like to share.

After a bit of research this is the company I was going to go with IF I decided to give this a go. A co-worker of mine swears by it but I'm not too sure:

http://www.fxcm.com/managed-accounts...s-programs.jsp

Did you notice the asterik says performance depicts both actual and hypothetical performance. What is their track record for 3 and 5 year periods?

However, I know nothing of Forex trading so I can't really give you any useful information. One more thing. It is interesting to me that they knock down such huge numbers but only require a $1,000 minimum. I use money managers for my clients and the very best deal I can get is a $100,000 minimum.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
I'm older and a 20% plus with medium risk is ok for stale cash. I've never been successful chasing the highest return in anything. Good luck.

20% returns with medium risk should be a red flag to any investor. There is no such thing over the long haul.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
NorCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Did you notice the asterik says performance depicts both actual and hypothetical performance. What is their track record for 3 and 5 year periods?

However, I know nothing of Forex trading so I can't really give you any useful information. One more thing. It is interesting to me that they knock down such huge numbers but only require a $1,000 minimum. I use money managers for my clients and the very best deal I can get is a $100,000 minimum.
Yeah, I definitely noticed the '*' there. The two funds with the 'too good to be true' returns at the top are obviously new funds and only have 2-3 months of actual performance. I think that's a large part of the reason why they only require a $1K minimum. The other two have longer performance histories. In all my research with Forex managed accounts though the minimum requirements I've seen have typically been $5K or $10K though. I guess I must be searching out the peasant funds......
Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCoug View Post
Yeah, I definitely noticed the '*' there. The two funds with the 'too good to be true' returns at the top are obviously new funds and only have 2-3 months of actual performance. I think that's a large part of the reason why they only require a $1K minimum. The other two have longer performance histories. In all my research with Forex managed accounts though the minimum requirements I've seen have typically been $5K or $10K though. I guess I must be searching out the peasant funds......
Well there are some great funds with small minimums. My favorite fund has a $250 minimum and a 3 year return of 14% and five year of 10% through yesterday. Not bad when you consider the last year through yesterday has been lousy.

What I am saying though is that a fund that can get that high of returns (forex funds) has to be very nimble to do so. If a fund is huge, they can't be nearly as nimble. That is why they tend to require large minimums. They don't want to raise the kind of money the huge large cap funds do.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
NorCalCoug

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of the pros and cons of currency trading (Forex) as opposed to the more well known/popular/mainstream concept of stock trading and mutual funds. Currency trading for the individual consumers is a relatively new thing (last number of years really) that's been made more possible by the internet. It's much more complex and not as understood as stocks so that's why I was hoping somebody may have had some experience with it. Like I said, the returns on the managed accounts look great ON PAPER but I want to understand the 'small print' and other factors that aren't so obvious so to speak.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
venomous viper

Unhappy be real careful.

There have been a lot of scams. Just google forex scams and enjoy the read. I was in one out of Boca Raton. Went there, saw the operation, believed in it, got sucked in and made real good returns until the Feds arrested the operators . Lost over 200K. It was just a ponzi sceme feeding on the new blood.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
There have been a lot of scams. Just google forex scams and enjoy the read. I was in one out of Boca Raton. Went there, saw the operation, believed in it, got sucked in and made real good returns until the Feds arrested the operators . Lost over 200K. It was just a ponzi sceme feeding on the new blood.
When I worked for E&Y we assisted the Feds with bringing down a group of currency traders that were secretely stealing from a group of very rich arabs. The work that we did in nailing these guys probably saved their lives though since the group of arabs were none too forgiving.

As with any investment, currency positions must be considered in the context of a portfolio. Be careful with currency positions. What you think might add diversification may actually put your portfolio out of balance.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
venomous viper

Default good advice from someone that sounds like he knows.

I needed 3 more characters.