cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road
Default Its amazing how the modern church views Polygamy

The first 85 years of the churches existence were centered around the doctrine of polygamy just as the FLDS church is today. If one wanted to practice mormonism as Joseph Smith did he would get closer to it in a Texas compound than anywhere else in the world. I give you this nugget to ponder on.

"Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential to the salvation of mankind. In other words, some of the Saints have said, and believe that a man with one wife, sealed to him by the authority of the Priesthood for time and eternity, will receive an exaltation as great and glorious, if he is faithful, as he possibly could with more than one. I want here to enter my protest against this idea, for I know it is false... Therefore, whoever has imagined that he could obtain the fullness of the blessings pertaining to this celestial law, by complying with only a portion of its conditions, has deceived himself. He cannot do it. When that principle was revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith,... he did not falter, although it was not until an angel of God, with a drawn sword, stood before him and commanded that he should enter into the practice of that principle, or he should be utterly destroyed, or rejected....

"If then, this principle was of such great importance that the Prophet himself was threatened with destruction,... it is useless to tell me that there is no blessing attached to obedience to the law, or that a man with only one wife can obtain as great a reward, glory or kingdom as he can with more than one,...

"I understand the law of celestial marriage to mean that every man in this Church, who has the ability to obey and practice it in righteousness and will not, shall be damned, I say I understand it to mean this and nothing less, and I testify in the name of Jesus that it does mean that." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 20, p. 28-31)
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It took a lot of effort to institute it, and after all that investment, it took a lot of effort to get rid of it.

Polygamy is an all or nothing thing. It's either essential or worthless. It is good or it is evil.

Right now it is nothing, worthless, and evil.

So imagine how much effort it would take to bring it back.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yet we are living in the time of restitution of "all" things. I feel that before all things are said and done...this principle will be re-established.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
Taq Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It took a lot of effort to institute it, and after all that investment, it took a lot of effort to get rid of it.

Polygamy is an all or nothing thing. It's either essential or worthless. It is good or it is evil.

Right now it is nothing, worthless, and evil.

So imagine how much effort it would take to bring it back.
I am not advocating bringing it back. I just think its interesting how the theological reasoning for polygamy is pretty much intact for Warren Jeffs and his ilk.

That same theology is mocked and derided by adherents of the modern church. Does Warren say or do anything that wasn't done/said by Joseph and the early church? Fundamental indeed.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Yet we are living in the time of restitution of "all" things. I feel that before all things are said and done...this principle will be re-established.
Great. It's already expensive enough to have one wife.

Like then, will we be able to opt out?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
I am not advocating bringing it back. I just think its interesting how the theological reasoning for polygamy is pretty much intact for Warren Jeffs and his ilk.

That same theology is mocked and derided by adherents of the modern church. Does Warren say or do anything that wasn't done/said by Joseph and the early church? Fundamental indeed.
I don't think Joseph Smith rode around Vegas in an SUV with a bunch of money stashed in boxes or suit cases. Nor do I think JS ever booted out young men to fend for themselves.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Taq Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I don't think Joseph Smith rode around Vegas in an SUV with a bunch of money stashed in boxes or suit cases. Nor do I think JS ever booted out young men to fend for themselves.
Perhaps not. He and Brigham did however send devout men on long missions so they could hit on/steal their women. (See Sarah Pratt and Zina Huntington Jacobs).

I really did not mean specific actions as much as just the whole theological justification behind the thing.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
Perhaps not. He and Brigham did however send devout men on long missions so they could hit on/steal their women. (See Sarah Pratt and Zina Huntington Jacobs).

I really did not mean specific actions as much as just the whole theological justification behind the thing.
Understood. I was being partly facetious and partly specific. I'll leave it to you to figure out which was which.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #9
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great. It's already expensive enough to have one wife.

Like then, will we be able to opt out?
Not only expensive just imagine how bad it would feel to be turned down 3, 4 or 5 times a night. I'm fine with my one rejection a night.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
Taq Man

Quote:
Understood. I was being partly facetious and partly specific. I'll leave it to you to figure out which was which.
LOL.

Not to hijack my own thread or anything but which ball club do you root for IPU?

I grew up in No. AZ and followed the Dodgers as a youngster. I find myself following the Dbacks more these days. Could be a good season.