cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever report someone to the Honor Code office for a violation?
Yes 4 12.50%
No 28 87.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you ever report someone to the Honor Code office for a violation?

This is a fool-proof Mullah test.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
This is a fool-proof Mullah test.
I might turn someone in for doing something I thought was wrong, but not because it was an honor code violation.

For instance cheating on an exam. Whatever I turned them in for I would have turned them in at any college.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If somebody stole my car or something like that, I'd rat them out to the whole world.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I might turn someone in for doing something I thought was wrong, but not because it was an honor code violation.

For instance cheating on an exam. Whatever I turned them in for I would have turned them in at any college.
I'm okay with that - it affects you and your grade.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if they ran over the Utes last November...and then subsequently ran a few stop signs...that is the only circumstance in which I would report someone to the HC office.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
If somebody stole my car or something like that, I'd rat them out to the whole world.
That's a separate issue from Honor Code. Crimes are reportable, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I was reported to the honor code twice by anonymous persons. Both occurred my freshman year in the dorms at DT. One evening me and some buddies who shared some colorful days in high school had a private discussion with a few other people in our closed dorm room about our past transgressions. One of the people present apparently was disgusted that we got into the Lord's University with all the follies of youth we had committed. So he took it upon himself to report us to the Honor Code regardless of the fact that all of these things had transpired before any of us signed the Honor Code. Nothing happened with me except an awkward meeting in the SWKT before some old guy I don't remember who questioned me about my commitment to the Honor Code. The gentleman would not release the identity of the person who reported me when I asked him about it. This single event led one of my friends to transfer to Miami-Ohio at the end of the semester. We also approached every single person present for the discussion until we found the rat. We then shunned him for the rest of the year. Funny too, that the rat was the only RM on our floor and he was transferred from one mission to another mission where his father was serving as President because of some issues and eventually was sent home early from that mission.

The second occurred when I was in a girls dorm room after hours and a girl anonymously from another apartment reported me to the dorm mother. The dorm mom then approached us as we were leaving and took down my name. I pulled a Tonga and gave her my buddy's name because I thought she was joking. When I realized she wasn't I gave her my real name which didn't make her too happy. I had another meeting in the SWKT and again had to agree to the terms of the Honor Code. It's kind of like having to agree to the rules again on CB. This time I was put on probation, mostly for my previous offense which was talking about my past transgressions before I even came to BYU. I had to apologize to the dorm mom I offended and then also my own in DT. I also had to attend all the devotionals and write a one page response and turn in by 5 pm every Tuesday. I was told serving an honorable mission would expunge my record.

I hate the Honor Code. It's bullshit. And I curse the students who created it and the mullahs who enforce it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I went to BYU, I have numerous family and other close ones that attended BYU. I've lived in Provo my entire adult life. I hire BYU interns. I have close friends and family who are currently employed at BYU. I'm pretty connected to BYU.

I've never once heard a first hand or second hand story of someone who was ratted out to the HCO for something. I've only heard those stories on message boards. For that reason, I feel a lot of this is blown out of proportion.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you think I paid for college?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
FWIW, I went to BYU, I have numerous family and other close ones that attended BYU. I've lived in Provo my entire adult life. I hire BYU interns. I have close friends and family who are currently employed at BYU. I'm pretty connected to BYU.

I've never once heard a first hand or second hand story of someone who was ratted out to the HCO for something. I've only heard those stories on message boards. For that reason, I feel a lot of this is blown out of proportion.
PS as I've mentioned before, I know a few BYU bishops and they have told me they rarely referred anyone to the HCO, even with those that had committed serious offenses. I'm come to a belief that the HCO has basically chilled out and the only way it ever gets any pub now is in high profile athlete cases or julie from mtv.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote