cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why am I not surprised? Research my ass.
troublemaker!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
The fact that museums are on this list at all (as well as some of the cities highlighted) tells me these people don't have kids.

Speaking of museums--has anyone ever been to the wildlife museum in St George? My kids loved that one.
You should stick to medicine because persuasive writing is not your forte.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You should stick to medicine because persuasive writing is not your forte.
Touche...

I guess the unwritten point I was trying ineptly to make is that wildlife museums (basically a collection of trophies from a guy's hunting exploits all over the world) probably aren't the type of "culture" SU and these authors are all giddy about.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Museums in Utah:

http://www.utah.com/museums/
Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why am I not surprised? Research my ass.
You sneaky bastard. Quit editing quotes.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You sneaky bastard. Quit editing DDD's awesome quotes.
Thank you.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Do you have kids? If so, how many art museums have you taken them through?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

If I'm wrong, tell me your secret. When we've gone anywhere, we've had to switch off watching kids with another couple to see anything cultural. My kids really enjoy...well, childrens museums. Well, that and dinosaur bones--they did sort of enjoy the Field Museum in Chicago--but liked the Aquarium MUCH better.

The fact that museums are on this list at all (as well as some of the cities highlighted) tells me these people don't have kids.

Speaking of museums--has anyone ever been to the wildlife museum in St George? My kids loved that one.
I've taken my kids to every major museum in Seattle, including the SAM and the Asian art museum and (which are big museums), the UW natural history museum, the Chicago Institute of Art, the Met, the Field Museum, etc. We saw a special Pompeii exhibit at the Field Museum. My four year old is passionate about Pompoii, Vesuvius, etc. I can't think of a more important thing to do with kids. One thing I learned from my religious forebears is you start programming early. It's never too early to start. I took my kids to the Chicago Instutute of Art three times while my wife was in meetings over a couple of trips when one was a toddler and the other a baby.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Do you have kids? If so, how many art museums have you taken them through?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

If I'm wrong, tell me your secret. When we've gone anywhere, we've had to switch off watching kids with another couple to see anything cultural. My kids really enjoy...well, childrens museums. Well, that and dinosaur bones--they did sort of enjoy the Field Museum in Chicago--but liked the Aquarium MUCH better.

The secret is don't do too much at one time. I forgot to mention I took my 7 year old and four year old boys to the recently completed ancient Roman/Renaissance art exhibit from the Louvre here in Seattle. The ancient Roman stuff (where were breathtaking, I felt better than the Met's permanent Classical exhibit) resonated because we've been reading books on Classical antiquity.

Elementary school tours are a staple and a daily activity at art museums everywhere.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I grew up on the North Shore of Hawaii and then Santa Clarita, CA.

Honolulu is a great place to raise your kids if you're rich and haole and can afford to send your kids to Punahou or Kam schools.

Santa Clarita doesn't have any museums that I can remember. They have the Oak of the Golden Dream monument where gold was discovered when a man napped beneath a tree, dreamed of gold and awoke hungry pulling up some wild onions under the tree only to find some gold nuggets.

But I guess it is in relatively close proximity to LA. The schools are top notch though. Hart, Canyon, and Valencia are sports powerhouses. The Foothill League owns the Marmonte League.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
But I guess it is in relatively close proximity to LA. The schools are top notch though. Hart, Canyon, and Valencia are sports powerhouses. The Foothill League owns the Marmonte League.
This may be true. But people in the Marmonte League own the businesses where the Foothill league residents work.

PS if you cant tell, i still hate canyon.