cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default What is the dumbest no-brainer you committed as a kid?

Talk of strangest punishments is bringing up a lot of memories of my childhood. I actually had a fun childhood, but I did get into some trouble here and there.

I am not talking about sharing Church transgressions.

I am talking about when my friend and I started a bonfire in the garage type stuff. The kind of stuff that you look back and ask, "what the crap was I thinking?"

I am sure I have a bunch of these, but one that immediately comes to mind...

We had a pool table in our den growing up. It was a nice pool table, I guess. we had those neon beer lights that hung from the wall and the extra cool Beer Lamp that hung from the ceiling over the pool table (we were not LDS, btw).

We also had a pretty decent sized fishtank against the wall in the den. Not one of those massive 20 footers that you see in Dr No. Just a modest, but decent sized family fish tank.

One day, I decide that it would be a good idea to try to shotput the billiard balls into the fishtank and watch the splash. The first couple were cool. The third hit the glass and shattered the fishtank, spilling water, fish, and rocks all over the floor of the den.

Result: whipping.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have so many of these stories, I was kind of a bonehead as a kid.

The first one that comes to mind was when I was in highschool and we went to Rock Canyon park in Provo on the 4th of July to watch fireworks. We had gone up to Wyoming the week before and bought some bottle rockets, so we would hide behind bushes and shoot them at people.

I shot one and it hit this ladies blanket starting it on fire. We took of running. But we thought it was hilarious, so we kept doing it. Every few shots someone would jokingly yell "Fire!"

My friend Seth yells "Fire!" after shooting one, we all start laughing, turn around and the whole area around the water tank is on fire. It was dry and in the July so the weeds around it went up in a hurry.

We took off running as fast as we could, we start running down the hill, we jump in my car, and a cop pulls up immediately behind us and hits his lights. I panicked and took off, the cop chased us through the neighborhoods up by the park and temple and eventually we lost him.

The next day it was in the newspaper and it said kids were seen running from the fire, my mom opened the paper and immediately said "You were at Rock Canyon Park last night werent you?" She knew it was me but I denied it and we were never caught.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Like junkie, my friends and I started a nice fire in a gully near our neighborhood that ended up with 4 firetrucks there. Fortunately, Paul Florez lived in my neighborhood and he had older brothers who were always in trouble with the law, so when questioned, we mentioned him and got away scot free.

In 8th grade in a science class, we were making hydrogen gas by mixing seashells, hydrochloric acid and zinc. The little pops that happened when a flame was put to the released gas was for wusses (the beaker we were using was only about 100 ml) so my friend and I decided that we really needed a louder bang. His sister was in the lab supply area and so she had no problems giving us the largest beaker she could find - it was about 1.5 liters - and we filled it with the hydrochloric acid, seashells and zinc.

We didn't think that a louder bang also came with a more powerful explosion.

I was thrown back about 20 feet into the desks; my friend was thrown into a wall and separated his shoulder and fortunately, nobody else was injured because we were in a different classroom.

I think it ended up being about $12000 in damages to the school.

It was awesome.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I have so many of these stories, I was kind of a bonehead as a kid.

The first one that comes to mind was when I was in highschool and we went to Rock Canyon park in Provo on the 4th of July to watch fireworks. We had gone up to Wyoming the week before and bought some bottle rockets, so we would hide behind bushes and shoot them at people.

I shot one and it hit this ladies blanket starting it on fire. We took of running. But we thought it was hilarious, so we kept doing it. Every few shots someone would jokingly yell "Fire!"

My friend Seth yells "Fire!" after shooting one, we all start laughing, turn around and the whole area around the water tank is on fire. It was dry and in the July so the weeds around it went up in a hurry.

We took off running as fast as we could, we start running down the hill, we jump in my car, and a cop pulls up immediately behind us and hits his lights. I panicked and took off, the cop chased us through the neighborhoods up by the park and temple and eventually we lost him.

The next day it was in the newspaper and it said kids were seen running from the fire, my mom opened the paper and immediately said "You were at Rock Canyon Park last night werent you?" She knew it was me but I denied it and we were never caught.
Hey! I remember that fire.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

We went down to Utah for a scout trip and the first place we visited was the prison at point of the mountain. After that we were headed to Orem to visit Geneva. We were riding with the bishop and the three of us in back decided to have some fun. We made a sign that said "Help I'm being kidnapped". As we were going by cars one kid would hold up the sign and we would grab him and pretend like we were beating the crap out of him. We pull into Geneva and eight cop cars pulled in right behind us. They got out of their cars and hid behind their doors with their guns out. They had us slowly get out of the car while they all had they guns pointed at us. After about ten minutes we got it all straightened out but needless to say the bishop was little upset. We were pretty proud because this old trooper said that was the stupidest stunt he had ever seen.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
We went down to Utah for a scout trip and the first place we visited was the prison at point of the mountain. After that we were headed to Orem to visit Geneva. We were riding with the bishop and the three of us in back decided to have some fun. We made a sign that said "Help I'm being kidnapped". As we were going by cars one kid would hold up the sign and we would grab him and pretend like we were beating the crap out of him. We pull into Geneva and eight cop cars pulled in right behind us. They got out of their cars and hid behind their doors with their guns out. They had us slowly get out of the car while they all had they guns pointed at us. After about ten minutes we got it all straightened out but needless to say the bishop was little upset. We were pretty proud because this old trooper said that was the stupidest stunt he had ever seen.
I declare you winner.

And it's not even close.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I declare you winner.

And it's not even close.
That is a great story. But I want to keep hearing more stories. These are great. Kidnapping, arson, destruction of private property, etc...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That is a great story. But I want to keep hearing more stories. These are great. Kidnapping, arson, destruction of private property, etc...
I agree about hearing more stories. But now they're just for fun as the competition has been rendered pointless.

For the record, the destruction in my story was of public property if that's what you were talking about.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 05-06-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

usually the things that I thought would be funny, as a kid, would not have been funny, and fortunately I did not carry them out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
usually the things that I thought would be funny, as a kid, would not have been funny, and fortunately I did not carry them out.
C'mon Mike. It's always funny until it happens to me (or you in your case).