cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Maybe things have changed on CB lately, but it seems to be entirely different level of discussion to me. I think you are off the mark there. Especially if you are using Requiem and Lingo as a point of reference. As for Requiem, there is more to that story than you are aware. As for Lingo, you clearly were not here during his first sojourn on CG. Otherwise, you would understand the crap he takes.
While I'm by no means Lingo's most active antagonist, there is much more about the Lingo and Requiem situations (for they should be called such) than meets the eye. Especially Requiem, although I will admit I was not around here for Lingo's grand beginning and only know what I have been told.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Maybe things have changed on CB lately, but it seems to be entirely different level of discussion to me. I think you are off the mark there. Especially if you are using Requiem and Lingo as a point of reference. As for Requiem, there is more to that story than you are aware. As for Lingo, you clearly were not here during his first sojourn on CG. Otherwise, you would understand the crap he takes.
First, if you do not go to CB, I am confused as to how you know who else does or does not go there? I would submit that the majority of the regulars here go to CB multiple times a week, if not daily. This includes Creator and Assistant to the Creator. And me. There is something there that draws everyone over. My call is the "lover spurned" theory. Perhaps you have a different theory.

I use those people as a point of reference because there arent many points of reference to be found here. There are only about 15 or so people online at any given time, and really less than 30 people who post regularly. And most of the posts here are about the same as the posts over on CB. I honestly do not see a fundamental difference. Is there? Maybe I am missing something?

The issue I was addressing is, how do increase traffic here a bit. My premise is that many quality CB posters would likely spend more time here, but for the bad PR it receives on CB.

I am a newcomer here and my observations are likely to be mirrored by everyone else who is a newcomer here. You are right, I dont know the backstory of every poster, and neither will others that come here to explore.

I even asked yesterday what the story was with Lingo so I could understand it. Nobody really explained it. So the only thing I can assume is that the behavior here really isnt any different or better than on CB...it is the same pack hunting exclusionary behavior, just wrapped in a different box. Like I said, for the week or so that I have spent here, I think it has been fun and interesting and I have had some laughs. I have never once thought, "wow, these people are clearly smarter than those on CB."

I think what you find LESS of here is the banal posts like people quoting The Office or someone asking about Chadders hamburgers. Perhaps the lack of such banality masquerades as intelligence. I dont necessarily think that (you may not either).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #23
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
What was Lingo's grand beginning? And who is Requiem and why is he mentioned so much here?
Others are better equipped to tell the respective tales, I warrant, so I will defer to them.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
What was Lingo's grand beginning? And who is Requiem and why is he mentioned so much here?
From the week that I have been here, Requiem is either a lesbian or an angry single woman who was recently married but now wants to get divorced......and she gets set on dates up my mikewaters.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
First, if you do not go to CB, I am confused as to how you know who else does or does not go there? I would submit that the majority of the regulars here go to CB multiple times a week, if not daily. This includes Creator and Assistant to the Creator. And me. There is something there that draws everyone over. My call is the "lover spurned" theory. Perhaps you have a different theory.

I use those people as a point of reference because there arent many points of reference to be found here. There are only about 15 or so people online at any given time, and really less than 30 people who post regularly. And most of the posts here are about the same as the posts over on CB. I honestly do not see a fundamental difference. Is there? Maybe I am missing something?

The issue I was addressing is, how do increase traffic here a bit. My premise is that many quality CB posters would likely spend more time here, but for the bad PR it receives on CB.

I am a newcomer here and my observations are likely to be mirrored by everyone else who is a newcomer here. You are right, I dont know the backstory of every poster, and neither will others that come here to explore.

I even asked yesterday what the story was with Lingo so I could understand it. Nobody really explained it. So the only thing I can assume is that the behavior here really isnt any different or better than on CB...it is the same pack hunting exclusionary behavior, just wrapped in a different box. Like I said, for the week or so that I have spent here, I think it has been fun and interesting and I have had some laughs. I have never once thought, "wow, these people are clearly smarter than those on CB."

I think what you find LESS of here is the banal posts like people quoting The Office or someone asking about Chadders hamburgers. Perhaps the lack of such banality masquerades as intelligence. I dont necessarily think that (you may not either).
If there is not better quality here, then I see no reason to be here, and no reason to recommend it to others.

I'm curious, given your opinions, why you would want more traffic here. Many here are contented with having a small community.

Getting bigger would bring all kinds of headaches. Including increased costs. Are you aware that CG costs more to operate than CB (CB gets its hosting for free), and has probably a hundredth of the revenue? Maybe even one-thousandth the revenue.

NPR is not Rupert Murdoch. Neither is CG.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If there is not better quality here, then I see no reason to be here, and no reason to recommend it to others.

I'm curious, given your opinions, why you would want more traffic here. Many here are contented with having a small community.

Getting bigger would bring all kinds of headaches. Including increased costs. Are you aware that CG costs more to operate than CB (CB gets its hosting for free), and has probably a hundredth of the revenue? Maybe even one-thousandth the revenue.

NPR is not Rupert Murdoch. Neither is CG.
Since they are about equal, then logically, my reasons for being at one would be the same for being at another. I think your point is better taken if the quality were worse here...which it is not. If I am not wanted, on the other hand....no worries.

I came here of my own volition to give it a honest shot. I am not banned from CB, but wanted to jump into this place and see what it was all about. My observations, as stated previously, is that much, if not all of the preconception about this place is basically false...for good and for bad (meaning, it isnt The Godmakers incarnate, but it isnt Radcliffe Camera, either--both of which are current perceptions).

I enjoy it just fine here but think it would be better if there were more participation from a wider array of people. if I understand your reponse correctly, you seem to be more of the mindset that less is more.

I am not aware of the revenue streams for CB or CG. How much do you make here?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am not aware of the revenue streams for CB or CG. How much do you make here?
Less than zero.

You can ask Jefe how much CB has made, between donations and ads.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #28
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Due to being banned from religion posts, I posted my farewell on CB, that was somewhat ambiguous. To be honest, with each passing day, I have less attraction to going back, not more.

I don't know how BYU71 did it. He stayed away from CB for a long time, then jumped right back in.

it's sort of like the difference between living in the dorms and living in your own house.

I think you should go back to posting on CB. It annoyed people who should regularly be annoyed, and it gave you somewhere to troll other than your own site.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #29
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I think you should go back to posting on CB. It annoyed people who should regularly be annoyed, and it gave you somewhere to troll other than your own site.
What kind of people should regularly be annoyed?

It's an interesting concept.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Less than zero.

You can ask Jefe how much CB has made, between donations and ads.
Currently, he claims to have 1,318 donors. At $10 a pop, that would be $13,180. CB started in 2001, if I am not mistaken, so amortized over that period, Jefe has made about $2196/yr, or $183/mo.

I have no idea how much he makes on ad revenue. How much do people make on ad revenues for a site of that nature?

Also, what is the relevance?