cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children's rhymes and games

My dad does this game with the kids. He is sitting on the couch, and the kid is standing in front of him, holding hands with arms outstretched. He places his feet over the kid's feet, to hold them down. Then he rocks the kid back and forth singing this:

Wash the lady's dishes
Hang them on the bushes
When the bushes begin to crack
Hang them on the monkey's back
When the monkey begins to run
Shoot him with a rubber gun,
Shoot him with a rubber gun!

At the beginning of "shoot him", instead of rocking back and forth, it is more of a shaking action with the arms. The kids love it.

Since my kids like it, I do it with them also. I believe this is something that my father's parents did with him. And I'm pretty sure my dad did this with me when I was little. And it probably goes back generations prior to my father.

However, I always though the whole rhyme didn't make a lot of sense. Why hang dishes on a monkey's back? I wondered if monkey was a replacement for something else.

This if from a book published in 1896:

Quote:
In the following, two children stand and take hold of hands, and swing their arms from side to side in time to the rhythm of the verse they repeat. With the final words, hands still clasped, they turn the arms on one side over their heads and at the same time turn around themselves' The verse runs as follows: —
Wash your mother's dishes,
Hang 'em on the bushes.
When the bushes begin to crack,
Hang 'em on the nigger's back.
When the nigger begins to run,
Shoot him with a leather gun.
Here is another version from a book published in 1908:

Quote:
Wash my lady's dishes--
Hang them on the bushes--
Hang them on the donkey's back--
When the donkey begins to run
Shoot him with a leathern gun
Was one version from the South, and the other version from the North? Which version came first, among the two? What is a leather gun? Why would one hang dishes on a person? Is it a way to mock blacks as beasts of burden? When did the version my father quotes appear (i.e. monkey)? A rubber gun, I had always imagined as something like a rubber band.

Anyway, I think it is interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My dad does this game with the kids. He is sitting on the couch, and the kid is standing in front of him, holding hands with arms outstretched. He places his feet over the kid's feet, to hold them down. Then he rocks the kid back and forth singing this:

Wash the lady's dishes
Hang them on the bushes
Hang them on the monkey's back
When the monkey begins to run
Shoot him with a rubber gun,
Shoot him with a rubber gun!

At the beginning of "shoot him", instead of rocking back and forth, it is more of a shaking action with the arms. The kids love it.

Since my kids like it, I do it with them also. I believe this is something that my father's parents did with him. And I'm pretty sure my dad did this with me when I was little. And it probably goes back generations prior to my father.

However, I always though the whole rhyme didn't make a lot of sense. Why hang dishes on a monkey's back? I wondered if monkey was a replacement for something else.

This if from a book published in 1896:

Here is another version from a book published in 1908:

Was one version from the South, and the other version from the North? Which version came first, among the two? What is a leather gun? Why would one hang dishes on a person? Is it a way to mock blacks as beasts of burden? When did the version my father quotes appear (i.e. monkey)? A rubber gun, I had always imagined as something like a rubber band.

Anyway, I think it is interesting.
I recall a similar version of that particular rhyme. And I recall my grandmother telling me the older version you proffer here. I think she also said that rhyme "eeney, meeney, miny, mo, catch a 'tiger' by the toe. . . " was also had such an evolution.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, when I was a young child, this was a common refrain among the kids when choosing things or choosing teams.

Quote:
Eeny, meeny, miney, moe
Catch a tiger by his toe
If he hollers let him go
My mom said to pick the best one
and you are not it!
I was not aware that some prior versions used "nigger".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, when I was a young child, this was a common refrain among the kids when choosing things or choosing teams.

I was not aware that some prior versions used "nigger".
I've never looked into it. I just remember my grandmother telling me what it used to be. She probably didn't see the reason for the change.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Finnegan

Finnegan is on a distinguished road

Like that post you did.
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote