cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmer

Mike, did you just have a senior memory moment with this one? As I recall we came from behind but tied the game with about 30 seconds to go and Kyle Collinsworth at the line to put us ahead. He missed one free throw and then with the score tied we held off Florida as they tried to score in the closing seconds, sending the game to OT. We very easily could have won it and moved on to the elite 8 even without Davies. Of course I guess you could argue that making free throws for KC back then wasn't easy.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13873927

Last edited by BlueK; 03-23-2015 at 08:02 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I didn't recall the overtime. I just remember my feeling after the game which was that it wasn't close.

My vague memory is that they absolutely dominated us in overtime. So that's the part that I remembered.

We have the longest record of success with futility in the NCAA. Most tourney appearances without a final four.

I posted earlier that I think the only program that is better historically than us (via reputation and caliber) that is on the same list is Missouri.

Although Missouri seems to have lost much of its cred as a basketball school in recent years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yeah, I didn't recall the overtime. I just remember my feeling after the game which was that it wasn't close.

My vague memory is that they absolutely dominated us in overtime. So that's the part that I remembered.

We have the longest record of success with futility in the NCAA. Most tourney appearances without a final four.

I posted earlier that I think the only program that is better historically than us (via reputation and caliber) that is on the same list is Missouri.

Although Missouri seems to have lost much of its cred as a basketball school in recent years.
They dominated us in OT because we were worn out due to having no depth by the end of that season, and I think we had a couple of players fouled out. In general they had the upper hand through the game, but we still had a remarkably great chance to win the game in the final seconds of regulation but it didn't happen because of one missed FT. We fought hard, but it's pretty tough to beat a team of Florida's caliber with Logan Magnusson at center and a roster that without Davies really only went about 6 players deep.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So you're telling me that KC has laid eggs for us twice in the tourney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So you're telling me that KC has laid eggs for us twice in the tourney.
If anything he was worse in 2015 than in 2011. He had 15 rebounds in that Florida game as a freshman and essentially had to play center replacing the suspended Davies with just Logan Magnusson backing him up. He was great in that game in his role. He just missed what very well could have been a game winning free throw to send us into the elite 8 to play against Butler. Also, I'm pretty sure he did something to his knee early in the game against Mississippi. Had we won I wouldn't have been surprised if something much worse would have happened to it in the next game kind of like last year after he tweaked it against St. Mary's but kept playing.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-23-2015 at 09:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote