cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Circular saw advice...

thinking about getting one of these essential tools. Any advice on brand? And how much to spend? I probably wouldn't use it much, so I don't want to get professional grade, though I don't like getting the cheapest tools either.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you planning on using it for? If rough cuting limber almost any brand will be ok, but I do strongly suggest an electric blade brake. If you have somehting in mind for closer tolerance, then spend more, or maybe consider another tool.

Last edited by creekster; 11-05-2007 at 08:32 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait until the day after Thanksgiving sale and head to Sears. Craftsman is a fairly reliable brand and usually less expensive than DeWalt or Milwaukee. You'll get in even better deal if you wait for the sale.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
thinking about getting one of these essential tools.
Funny, I've yet to regret not having a circular saw. I've yet to experience saying to myself, "Damn, if I just had a circular saw."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Too bad you don't live in Utah. I have an extra one I could give you.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Funny, I've yet to regret not having a circular saw. I've yet to experience saying to myself, "Damn, if I just had a circular saw."
Speaks volumes.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I bought my DeWalt 5 years ago. Now I like it, it does a bang up job, but that isn't a great endorsement seeing as I am not the expert on these things. But having my Dad say it was the smoothest saw he has used in his 45 years of building experience gave me comfort. I think I paid $140 for it at home depot. I have used it quite often, more than I thought I would when I purchased it.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
LOL. Why am I not surprised?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So when you saw the title of this thread were you planning on giving or receiving advice?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Wait until the day after Thanksgiving sale and head to Sears. Craftsman is a fairly reliable brand and usually less expensive than DeWalt or Milwaukee. You'll get in even better deal if you wait for the sale.
I have a Skil saw I probably paid 50 bucks for at Home Depot about 12 years ago. It works just fine for the occasional fix-up honey-dos around the house that require a power saw. I even used it on concrete once (with the appropriate abrasion blade). If I used it every day it would probably burn up the bearings after a year, but I don't. Buy a good blade, and one that is appropriate for the task -- probably makes more difference than the motor turning the blade.

Regarding Craftsman, pretty safe bet, but Craftsman is just a label, you'll be getting someone else's power saw with the Craftsman brand on it. That said, they do a pretty good job of vetting their suppliers, and back their stuff. No need to wait for the sale. Buy it today and when it goes on sale (there is some sort of monthly rotation of sale items, it seems), you can get the difference back in cash if it is less than 30 days from your date of purchase, and if the difference is worth the extra trip to the store. I did that with a garbage disposal once.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote