cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

View Poll Results: Do you immunize your kids? (hypothetical or real)
Yes 30 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I was on a group date with a girl once while at the Y. We started playing that game two truths and a lie. Well one of her truths was that she was valedictorian. Then I called her out by saying that everyone who is home schooled is valedictorian. She was so embarrassed and upset she didn't talk to me the rest of the evening.
That my friend, is hilarious. Well done.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Does anybody else think it's really self-centered to not vaccinate your kids. I mean, not vaccinating your kids really only works if you expect that everybody else will vaccinate theirs and thus your kids won't actually be at risk of contracting polio or whatever.

Am I being unreasonable?

I have a friend whose church doesn't believe in vaccination. Last year the congregation experienced a nasty outbreak of whooping cough.
Absolutely right. It is selfish, both towards the child and towards the community--hence the comment about disregarding the herd immunity.

I always manage to make some snide remark to parents when I treat their unimmunized kids. Yesterday, I was sewing up a kids head laceration and when I discharged them, I said "I hope he can open his mouth tomorrow". Not all that clever, and I'm sure it went over her head, but it makes me feel better.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #23
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
exactly. I've got a kid who's immuno-compromised. It seems kinda selfish of these people. "Well, I don't want to expose my kid to mercury (or whatever), but I'm putting yours at risk of contracting diphtheria. Hope you don't mind."
I'm with you too. Our daughter was born 10 weeks premature, and vaccinations were a must for me. I never thought twice about it.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

here's what is sure to be a heated cougarboard discussion about this.
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3952544

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

We have immunized our kids...but I also believe that there are chances that autism can be triggered by some of the vaccinations. With that said, that percentage is obviously very small and the greater good of vaccines outweighs the small percentage of 'side effects.'

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
here's what is sure to be a heated cougarboard discussion about this.
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3952544
Actually, despite the ridiculously emotional and non-rational plea (implying that the difference before and after the shot was "noticeable"--don't get me started on how ridiculous this notion is), he was fairly soundly shot down. Pleasant surprise from cougarboard.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
We have immunized our kids...but I also believe that there are chances that autism can be triggered by some of the vaccinations. With that said, that percentage is obviously very small and the greater good of vaccines outweighs the small percentage of 'side effects.'
I can accept this approach, although I can't quite agree with your assessment of the chances of autism being caused by vaccinations. Erectile dysfunction could be caused by vaccinations as well. "YOU deal with erectile dysfunction and THEN you come tell me that I should risk something that I deeply believe has already hurt our family once. " Hypothetically speaking of course.

The reason this autism link is even being considered (that's a fairly generous term), is that we are much more aware of autism (and Asperger's and the like) than we ever have been before. We give more vaccinations than ever before and therefore it's a convenient link to draw (and it allows us to ignore the increasing prevalence of TV, video games, etc).