cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default The Limbaugh-NFL nonsense

The hatchet job being done on Rush Limbaugh by the media and the race-baiters is a real travesty. Anyone with a conscience should be a least a little bit bothered by how this is being handled. The objections to by some current players, owners, and some other non-NFL-affiliated Americans to Limbaugh holding a stake of ownership in an NFL revolve around 4 main statements:

1. Donovan McNabb comment of 6 years ago
2. James Earl Ray deserved a posthumous medal for killing Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. Slavery had it's merits
4. The NFL the "Crips and the Bloods without guns"

Let's break these down:

1. Donovan McNabb. Limbaugh's comment was this: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

In essence, Limbaugh accused the media of showing racial favoritism, rather than evaluating McNabb on the merits. And he was probably right. What is so objectionable about that? You might say, "Well it wasn't very kind to McNabb." No, it wasn't. Limbaugh was calling him overrated. But if calling a player overrated is a disqualifier for owning an NFL team, then 92.7% of American football fans should be disqualified (assuming they had the cash). That's a pretty silly dime to turn on.

2. James Earl Ray. Limbaugh has unequivocally denied ever making the statement that James Earl Ray deserved a medal for killing King. The allegation is so ridiculous that it's hard to believe that a network news anchor could listen to it with a straight face, to say nothing of engaging in actual journalism and sourcing the claim before repeating it.

Limbaugh has gone so far as to threaten legal action against those repeating the claim if they won't retract it. He say he got an email from one black journalist who refused to retract it, telling him (I'm paraphrasing from memory), "This is a great publicity stunt you have going. Just enjoy it." Does that sound like someone interested in the truth to you?

I don't have a searchable database of everything Limbaugh has ever said on the air, so I can't confirm whether he said it or not. But he's claiming he didn't, and shouldn't those who are reporting he did, you know, prove it?

3. Slavery. As with point #2, Limbaugh is vehemently denying he ever said this.

4. Crips and Bloods. The context for this comment is on Limbaugh's site with a further explanation of that comment here, so you can read it and judge for yourself. Limbaugh did say this. He says he was talking about the classless gang-like culture of some players of the NFL, and that it wasn't meant to be racial, but rather a criticism of a mind-set. You can decide if you believe him, based on the context (which the media of course does not provide).

Of all of these statements, this is the one with the most legitimacy, but even then, I think it's a stretch to deny someone NFL ownership over.

Bottom-line, Hugh Hewitt calls this McCarthyism and he's right. The NFL is afraid of allowing a minority stake to a man like Limbaugh, but has no qualms catering to out-and-out racists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. This should bother anyone who's paying attention, whether you like Limbaugh or not. I can't stand Al Gore, Keith Olberman, and Al Franken, but you wouldn't find me shouting down their option to buy an NFL team if they so chose.

This is unnecessary character assassination with a pair of half-truths and a pair of outright lies. What a shame that American enterprises allow themselves to be shaken down by race-baiters and biased media blowhards.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm against controversial figures, or people who have ever uttered a controversial statement from being allowed to PLAY in the NFL. or live for that matter.

Sport is littered with morons. Look at Jerry Jones. They let Jerrah own a team.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm against controversial figures, or people who have ever uttered a controversial statement from being allowed to PLAY in the NFL. or live for that matter.

Sport is littered with morons. Look at Jerry Jones. They let Jerrah own a team.
There wouldn't be much of an NFL in that case. Or an NBA, for that matter.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Even God chose some loose cannons for apostles and seventies!

Good enough for God, good enough for the NFL!

(If I were Rush, I would use this as my slogan).
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Tex

It appears Limbaugh is now out, according to ESPN.

Score another one for the race-baiters.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It appears Limbaugh is now out, according to ESPN.

Score another one for the race-baiters.
It was money.

They would take Rush's money if they needed it. They didn't. And the race-baiters were more of an economic threat.

There was no principal of any sort here. Goodell just reinstated someone who killed dogs. We have Tom Cable coaching every week, who likely criminally assaulted one of his employees.

Everyone do yourself a favor: quit caring about sports unless you are personally out there playing.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Let me make another point here: I think it could be argued that African Americans have earned the right to have a strong voice in what happens in the NFL. After all, they are the ones who are, disproportionate to their percentage of the population, literally bashing in their brains, disabling themselves forever, for the entertainment of white folks.

Hell, they are killing themselves to please us. Throw them a bone from time to time.

[does this quote prevent me from ever owning an NFL team?]
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Let me add that if I were a Rams fan, I would be crying about Checketts owning my team.

And that has nothing to do with Rush.

F the NFL. I'm going Nascar.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Tex

It's really interesting to see how no one seems to care about this story. Even the Brits get it right:

Quote:
Which public figure can be quoted as having said something bigoted and disgusting and it doesn’t matter whether he did or not because he might have? Who can Big Media brand a racist without checking the facts? Who has to prove he did not say something racist, rather than the accuser proving he did?

A pat on the back for anyone who guessed the answer: Rush Limbaugh (OK, the blog headline was a clue). From CNN to MSNBC to ABC, it’s been put about that Limbaugh said this:

I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.

It’s also been spread around that he said this, about the death of the man who assassinated Martin Luther King:

You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honour? James Earl Ray. We miss you, James. Godspeed.

Trouble is, he didn’t say either of these outrageous things. And it wasn’t difficult to check, as protein wisdom shows here. They originated from, er, Wikipedia and Wikiquotes. Both quotes ended up in this book – a hit job that doesn’t cite any sources. They’re also included in this internet list posted a year ago and endlessly ripped off ever since.

The irony is, of course, that the people reporting this as fact are the same types who are always denouncing bloggers and the internet as forces of evil intent on destroying proper journalism – proper journalism being the kind that involves checking facts. In the case of Rush Limbaugh, however, it seems to be enough that the intention (i.e. to show the talk radio host is a racist) is considered pure.
People who simply don't like Limbaugh are saying, "Right on, NFL! Right on! Drop that SOB!" I wonder if any of those brainless masses are considering the implications of the media getting away with the unsourced repetition of bald-faced lies. We're always accusing them of subtle bias, but rarely do you see an example this nakedly political.

But I guess it doesn't matter. We all know Limbaugh is a blowhard, so what does it matter if the quotes are true?

Good thing CNN is out there fact-checking the Obama SNL skit.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/to...dia-lynch-mob/

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's really interesting to see how no one seems to care about this story. Even the Brits get it right:

People who simply don't like Limbaugh are saying, "Right on, NFL! Right on! Drop that SOB!" I wonder if any of those brainless masses are considering the implications of the media getting away with the unsourced repetition of bald-faced lies. We're always accusing them of subtle bias, but rarely do you see an example this nakedly political.

But I guess it doesn't matter. We all know Limbaugh is a blowhard, so what does it matter if the quotes are true?

Good thing CNN is out there fact-checking the Obama SNL skit.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/to...dia-lynch-mob/
I hope the NFL, the NBA, and MLB all die a horrible death. So if their infantile squabbles lead to their demise, then so be it.

It has been many years since I last watched any full games from any of these leagues.