cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
It's going to be a long time before Mississippi has this on the ballot. You can be sure of that.
you don't think Mississippi would propose sanctity-of-marriage legislation?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Hasn't happened <> won't happen
No, but it doesn't mean it will either. And though California is its own alien planet, the fact that it hasn't happen anywhere else is instructive.

We see this on occasion ... loser candidates or loser issues being put right back on the ballot at the next opportunity. They tend to lose again, and often by wider margins.

I suppose we'll have to cross the 2010 bridge when we come to it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
you don't think Mississippi would propose sanctity-of-marriage legislation?
Oh yeah, I guess you're right. But I don't see any judges in Jackson granting any same-sex marriage licenses any time soon. Any sanctity of marriage legislation will be in response to what is going on elsewhere in the nation.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh yeah, I guess you're right. But I don't see any judges in Jackson granting any same-sex marriage licenses any time soon. Any sanctity of marriage legislation will be in response to what is going on elsewhere in the nation.
right. That's how it is here. Pre-emptive action...just to be safe. Never can be too careful with those gays and their agenda.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's going to be a long time before Mississippi has this on the ballot. You can be sure of that.
I really enjoyed watching the political ads on TV last week when I was in Mississippi. It's amazing to see a place more socially conservative than Utah.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, but it doesn't mean it will either. And though California is its own alien planet, the fact that it hasn't happen anywhere else is instructive.

We see this on occasion ... loser candidates or loser issues being put right back on the ballot at the next opportunity. They tend to lose again, and often by wider margins.

I suppose we'll have to cross the 2010 bridge when we come to it.
I'm going to say this really slowly . . . the loser position here (gay marriage) lost by a significantly lower margin in 2008 than in 2000. That bucks the tendency you seem to believe is going to hold.

You apparently don't want to deal with reality, and that's fine. But the margin here is getting narrower with time, not wider. I don't think there's any room for it to narrow further.

Of course we have to cross the 2010 bridge when we come to it. Is the church going to put forth the same effort opposing the 2010 proposition as they did this year? I don't think the members can afford to, either time-wise or financially.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You are right on, SoCalCoug. There is no way the outcome is the same the next time around.

As I ponder what has happened in this whole prop 8 episode, it seems to me that we set out to define society, and in the end we only defined ourselves.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Tex

Just for reference, here are the ballot initiatives regarding same-sex marriage, and their results. All passed except AZ in 2006.

AK: 68%
HI: 69%*
* Hawaii did not explicitly ban same-sex marriage, but permitted the legislature to, which they then did.

CA: 61%
NE: 70%

NV: 67%

AK: 75%
GA: 76%
KY: 75%
MI: 59%
MT: 67%
ND: 73%
OH: 62%
OK: 76%
OR: 57%
UT: 66%

August '04 special election:
MO: 71%

TX: 76%

AZ: No, 51%
CO: 56%
ID: 63%
SC: 78%
TN: 81%
VA: 57%
WI: 59%

2008:
AZ (again): 57%
CA (again): 52%
FL: 62%

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I'm going to say this really slowly . . . the loser position here (gay marriage) lost by a significantly lower margin in 2008 than in 2000. That bucks the tendency you seem to believe is going to hold.

You apparently don't want to deal with reality, and that's fine. But the margin here is getting narrower with time, not wider. I don't think there's any room for it to narrow further.
It got narrower from 2000 to 2008, yes. That doesn't mean it inevitably gets smaller, or reverses. I don't think it's as dire as you say, and what you say is certainly not "reality."

You folks talk like it's inevitable, which is as much a fantasy as anything I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are right on, SoCalCoug. There is no way the outcome is the same the next time around.

As I ponder what has happened in this whole prop 8 episode, it seems to me that we set out to define society, and in the end we only defined ourselves.
Oh, that's deep.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

and this will be me:

Prop 8 or what ever it will be called will most likely lose next time around.