cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Savings accounts

I have mentioned this to others, but I have gotten out of the local bank savings account business. Though I never had a huge amount of money in my typical savings account, I moved it out and went to ING. As you know, ING is one of the largest banks in the world. Its savings account is pretty terrific as of now. It is currently earning just over 4% interest and you can add or pull money out whenever you want. I also think there are a few other banks that offer pretty good savings interest but I am not familiar with the other players. All I know is, I was earning about .50% interest on my savings account at Zions.

On top of that, I got a $25 bonus for signing up (I had to deposit $250 initially). Anyway, it has worked for us. If anyone has any questions on it, let me know. If anyone has another suggestion for me on this as well, let me know. Thanks.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in hearing some more about this...my local savings account doesn't give me crap and I have a pretty good one that I think it would be worthwhile getting some good interest off of.

Thanks man.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The Zions bank internet money market account has about a 4% interest rate, with a deposit/withdrawal limit of 6 (i think) per month. It's working out rather well for me. I get $20 a month just to have my money grow mold in THIS vault instead of THAT vault.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also been very interested in this. I opened an ING account late last year and have been very pleased. Brick and mortar bank savings accounts are a joke compared to what you can get online. Citibank is offering a slightly higher rate than ING right now 4.5% vs. 4.00%. I opened a Citibank account last month as well. Account set-up was more hassle-free with ING than with Citibank.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're a Costco member, you can get solid rates on CDs and Money Market accounts too. http://www.capitalone.com/investment..._C3_02_T_DCSCO

If you aren't a Costco member, why not? Join, it's totally worth it. Mmmmmmm... free sample Fridays.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head

If you aren't a Costco member, why not? Join, it's totally worth it. Mmmmmmm... free sample Fridays.
I haven't bought lunch on a saturday afternoon for about 3 1/2 years, thanks to free sample saturday.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I have an account with EmigrantDirect myself. They're at 4.5% now. I never thought that I'd see the day when I got substantial interest off of a savings account but that is what's happening. Those $$ accrue a lot quicker than they used to(with my 1.3% credit union savings account).
Old 05-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar
On top of that, I got a $25 bonus for signing up (I had to deposit $250 initially). Anyway, it has worked for us. If anyone has any questions on it, let me know. If anyone has another suggestion for me on this as well, let me know. Thanks.
how do you open up an account with ING? and what's the minimum requirement you need to maintain in the account to earn a decent interest rate?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride
how do you open up an account with ING? and what's the minimum requirement you need to maintain in the account to earn a decent interest rate?
Opening an account with ING is all done online, all you need is your checkbook from another bank so you can provide the routing number to link up your current bank to your ING account. ING will withdraw the money from your current bank and place it in your ING account. It is very simple.

There are no minimums to open and maintain an ING account. However, if you deposit $250 at the time of opening, ING will give you a $25 account opening bonus. I can send you the link if you are interested (ING customers also get a $10 bonus for referring people who open an account with $250 or more).
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I can send you the link if you are interested (ING customers also get a $10 bonus for referring people who open an account with $250 or more).
that would be great. thanks!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote