cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage industry is tanking

if any of you are self employed or for whatever reason have to go stated on your loans, i would highly recommend that if you are not happy with your rate or if you have an adjustable rate, that you refinance as soon as possible. Stated income loans imo will be gone within the next 12 months, also two of the biggest lenders in the country went belly up today Novastar mortgage and Aegis mtg corp. These are not strictly sub prime lenders either, Aegis is actually an A paper lender. Things are getting really bad.

Wells Fargos mortgage rates went up 2% as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

so if I want to refinance, it's worse today than last week?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Interesting. There is a guy in the mortgage industry in our ward. I found out yesterday that his office is shutting down.

I am guessing that there will be a fire sale on McMansions here in Utah soon, eh?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
if any of you are self employed or for whatever reason have to go stated on your loans, i would highly recommend that if you are not happy with your rate or if you have an adjustable rate, that you refinance as soon as possible. Stated income loans imo will be gone within the next 12 months, also two of the biggest lenders in the country went belly up today Novastar mortgage and Aegis mtg corp. These are not strictly sub prime lenders either, Aegis is actually an A paper lender. Things are getting really bad.

I am in great hopes all these mortgage companies that should go under, do go under. No S&L bail outs.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If this continues won’t there be considerable pressure by the end of the year for the Fed to start lowering rates? Not just for consumers, but if liquidity dries up it can also start to hurt business investment (capital expenditures, MNA etc.)
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
cougjunkie

2 more companies just downsized, option one and First Horizon. They both let go about 75% of there sales force.

I think that this does force the feds hand but in reality its not really interest rates that are the big problem rates are not great right now but they have been worse. The problem is criteria has gotten so much tighter. We are back to the days where you need a 20% down payment on your house.

No more stated 100% loans, no more no-doc loans, it is getting very very hard to get anyone approved.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
2 more companies just downsized, option one and First Horizon. They both let go about 75% of there sales force.

I think that this does force the feds hand but in reality its not really interest rates that are the big problem rates are not great right now but they have been worse. The problem is criteria has gotten so much tighter. We are back to the days where you need a 20% down payment on your house.

No more stated 100% loans, no more no-doc loans, it is getting very very hard to get anyone approved.
And how will this affect the refinance market, if at all?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

btw, I wasn't being sarcastic. I am actually thinking of refinancing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so if I want to refinance, it's worse today than last week?
yes it is, depending on your situation.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You mean the buyer will actually have to have some equity at closing and some verifiable income? How draconian!

You do know that the wave of creative financing, or more accurately, aggressive financing, is a large part of what was supporting speculation and driving pricing up sky high in most parts of the country? As usual the regulators and industry are doing the usual, closing the barn doors after the horses got out, which will make things get worse before they get better. As BYU71 said, I hope those who were loaning any amount to anyone with a pulse will go out of business rather than be rescued by Uncle Sam.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote