cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excellent Dialogue Article on Church perspectivism and historiography in Dialogue

I heartily recommend John Charles Duffy's survey article on the course of intellectual approach to the course of Mormon studies.

It starts with the the New Mormon History of Arrington and Alexander with attacks from the anti-positivists, looking at the approach of the anti-positivists to use post-modernistic techniques of deconstructionism and language.

It also reminded why Seattle's mis-use of "enlightened" position in terms of defending the rights of marginalized groups to be wrongful. Enlightenment sought to express itself in grand narratives and universal thoughts; it was the action of the post-modernists who cared for the marginalized groups of feminists, and gay activism. It is more correct to state those adhering the beliefs of post-modernists believe any anti-gay position to ill-advised. To somehow elevate it to a universal truth is a misuse of the traditional Enlightenment positions.

It is an excellent review of the debates of Arrington, Alexander, Midgley, as well as Bohn up to Bushman.

We seem to be returning to the position of Arrington, once dismissed during the Peterson cleaning of house.

The article is in the Spring edition.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I heartily recommend John Charles Duffy's survey article on the course of intellectual approach to the course of Mormon studies.

It starts with the the New Mormon History of Arrington and Alexander with attacks from the anti-positivists, looking at the approach of the anti-positivists to use post-modernistic techniques of deconstructionism and language.

It also reminded why Seattle's mis-use of "enlightened" position in terms of defending the rights of marginalized groups to be wrongful. Enlightenment sought to express itself in grand narratives and universal thoughts; it was the action of the post-modernists who cared for the marginalized groups of feminists, and gay activism. It is more correct to state those adhering the beliefs of post-modernists believe any anti-gay position to ill-advised. To somehow elevate it to a universal truth is a misuse of the traditional Enlightenment positions.

It is an excellent review of the debates of Arrington, Alexander, Midgley, as well as Bohn up to Bushman.

We seem to be returning to the position of Arrington, once dismissed during the Peterson cleaning of house.

The article is in the Spring edition.
If you would like this thread to get some play Arch...redo it in English.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
If you would like this thread to get some play Arch...redo it in English.
I kinda thought it was, but I'll go back and redo it. Apparently my nerdy interests don't comport with the nerdy interests of other internet nerds.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I kinda thought it was, but I'll go back and redo it. Apparently my nerdy interests don't comport with the nerdy interests of other internet nerds.
Notwithstanding, for a nerd, we still find you engaging.

This, of course, might cause many to clarify that I should speak for myself.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote