cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dialogue, a Journal of Mormon Thought

is arriving.

An article inspired me to link this.

http://www.dialoguejournal.com/conte...ordTrinity.pdf

Lots of good stuff in the new Dialogue Magazine.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks, Archaea, but this is old news. It's common knowledge that the Book of Mormon is like a time capsul of early nineteenth century upstate New York. Brodie has a nice summary in No Man, including noting the disputes over the nature of the godhead, which, actually, mirrored similar disputes in late antiquity. I really wish folks back then had had television or video games to distract them from the boredom of rural life, which is what probably led to all this.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Thanks, Archaea, but this is old news. It's common knowledge that the Book of Mormon is like a time capsul of early nineteenth century upstate New York. Brodie has a nice summary in No Man, including noting the disputes over the nature of the godhead, which, actually, mirrored similar disputes in late antiquity. I really wish folks back then had had television or video games to distract them from the boredom of rural life, which is what probably led to all this.
You didn't read the article if that is what you've gleaned from it.

The article discusses ever so briefly the ancient trinitarian and anti-trinitarian doctrines and then how they were discussed within the 19th century context. It then looked at how these doctrines could be answered within the terms of the debate for the 19th century, not whether the BoM should be considered a 19th century document. If you gleaned what I suppose you gleaned, you either have a dumb associate bringing you a memo, or you were distracted.

It is more an article looking for a hermeneutic related to various looks at Trinitarianism. 19th century BoM critics, viewed the work as complying with the various doctrines of trinitarianism.

The other articles deal with post-modernism and deconstructionism.

Brodie is so passee. Yes, she brought Joseph Smith exegesis into the modern day, but her heavy-handed biases are plain for all scholars to notice. To wit, Carmon Hardy or the author of In Sacred Loneliness. There's a lot better scholarship out there on Mormonism. You're time-locked into a mid twentieth century mentality about Mormonism, while it has crept forward without you.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You didn't read the article if that is what you've gleaned from it.

The article discusses ever so briefly the ancient trinitarian and anti-trinitarian doctrines and then how they were discussed within the 19th century context. It then looked at how these doctrines could be answered within the terms of the debate for the 19th century, not whether the BoM should be considered a 19th century document. If you gleaned what I suppose you gleaned, you either have a dumb associate bringing you a memo, or you were distracted.

It is more an article looking for a hermeneutic related to various looks at Trinitarianism. 19th century BoM critics, viewed the work as complying with the various doctrines of trinitarianism.

The other articles deal with post-modernism and deconstructionism.

Brodie is so passee. Yes, she brought Joseph Smith exegesis into the modern day, but her heavy-handed biases are plain for all scholars to notice. To wit, Carmon Hardy or the author of In Sacred Loneliness. There's a lot better scholarship out there on Mormonism. You're time-locked into a mid twentieth century mentality about Mormonism, while it has crept forward without you.
Thanks for the review. Do I still need to read it?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Thanks for the review. Do I still need to read it?
If you still wish to understand the doctrine of trinitariamism as it evolved, you do. I've always had an incorrect understanding thereof. What is more interesting is the distinctions between the ancient doctrines, which are briefly outlined, and how they were advocated in the 19th Century. Again, it's a brief article, but I've criticized the doctrine without fully understanding it. These past few years have gone a long way to peeling off the skin from my ignorant eyes.