cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I had the most miserable experience I've ever had on a bike

I did the same ride today that I did last week. It is somewhere between 50 and 60 miles long (my computer and my gps disagree with each other) and has 6000 feet of climb. Well, I've developed a cold in the past 2 days and I was worried I wouldn't be alble to sleep through all the coughing. So I took a shot of Nyquil at 8:30 and fell asleep. I woke up at 2:30 am unable to sleep and took another shot. I left for my ride @ 7a.m.

I was doing fine until we hit the big hills. All of the sudden I found myself unable to get enough oxygen even though I was basically spinning up the hills. I started getting light headed and my riding partner was probably getting pretty upset with me. Finally I reached a point where I thought I was going to pass out. I pulled over and lay on the ground where I easily could have slept for an hour. I recovered enough to finish the ride at a pansy pace and ruin my friends day. Then with 2 miles to go, I got a quadriceps cramp (something that has never happened to me in my life) which was another 5 minute delay. I have never felt so ill on a ride but I was so far out that there was nothing to do but finish. I'm guessing that the hypoxic feeling was a combination of my cough and the 2 shots of Nyquil. Guys, don't drink and ride.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:05 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the 100mile Hotter N' Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls with my dad today. I had to do most of the pulling for the last 20 miles (ie dad did no pulling, but couldn't hang with me if I got in a passing paceline). So it was a good workout.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My wife suggested this picture, of a person on my cycling team, was out of taste. My reply was she shouldn't be offended, because THAT'S HOW SHE ALWAYS RIDES. My wife says, does she know she rides like that? (as I was posting the pics on our club website) "She'll know now if she didn't." Btw, this was at the ride I did today...

Old 08-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

So, do you have a rear-view mirror on you bike?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

no, but that's a good idea.

There is this stretch near my house that people go back and forth and do 2 mile intervals. So we often pass, going opposite directions.

Actually more like I need a motorcyle to pace her, because ain't no way I'm going to be on a bike in front of her. She is much, much stronger than me. She races with the Cat 4 men, if that tells you anything.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:46 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default That is a very good way to ride, I approve of this position

Great job Mike.

I did a little 70 miler with a 9 mile climb and we can screaming home.

Anybody interested in doing Tour de Tuscon in November?
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
My wife suggested this picture, of a person on my cycling team, was out of taste. My reply was she shouldn't be offended, because THAT'S HOW SHE ALWAYS RIDES.

The guys in the background sure seem to be enjoying themselves :twisted: .
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote