cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The market plunge is due to

the credit crunch due to sub-prime mtg collapse and the ensuing housing decline. At least that is what is being said on TV and in the papers. The talk is the consumer will have to pull back due to these crunches and also leverage buy out deals can't get done.

In the last week the market is off about 5%. The week after June 19th the market dropped 2.7%, the week after June 7th the market dropped 3.7% and the week after Feb. 23rd the market dropped 5.2%.

What did all these drops have in common. Worry about the credit crunch due to the sub-prime mtg collapse and the ensuing housing decline. It is starting to get boring to hear the same reason over and over again.

I know there was talk in the June fall off about interest rates on the 10 year hitting 5.3%, however rates are around 4.9% now. How about oil? That is really an old tune.

Note: I am asking a question here. I am not indicating at all whether I think someone should be buying or selling the market.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
the credit crunch due to sub-prime mtg collapse and the ensuing housing decline. At least that is what is being said on TV and in the papers. The talk is the consumer will have to pull back due to these crunches and also leverage buy out deals can't get done.

In the last week the market is off about 5%. The week after June 19th the market dropped 2.7%, the week after June 7th the market dropped 3.7% and the week after Feb. 23rd the market dropped 5.2%.

What did all these drops have in common. Worry about the credit crunch due to the sub-prime mtg collapse and the ensuing housing decline. It is starting to get boring to hear the same reason over and over again.

I know there was talk in the June fall off about interest rates on the 10 year hitting 5.3%, however rates are around 4.9% now. How about oil? That is really an old tune.

Note: I am asking a question here. I am not indicating at all whether I think someone should be buying or selling the market.
That or just a natural, random correction.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
14K psychological barrier?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
That's possible. However, barriers like that often get bumped up against a few times and then broken through. Quite honestly most professional money managers aren't interested in the Dow as a barometer anyway, they look at the S&P 500.

Personally, I think it is the summer and that is basically the reason.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
BYU71

Quote:
I tend to agree. I think we find though it is triggered and exasperated by hedge funds and their problems. Too many young guns full of themselves who don't really know how to manage money or risk.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Sell short right before we get to 15K and get back to me on how you did.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Sell short right before we get to 15K and get back to me on how you did.
I'm scared to do stuff like that. It's impossible to outperform the market right?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
I'm scared to do stuff like that. It's impossible to outperform the market right?
No, exactly half the people will outperform the market over a given time period.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, exactly half the people will outperform the market over a given time period.
Not completely true. If someone like Warren Buffet makes the correct big plays he could cover thousands of bad plays from the rest of us. I think a few really wealthy people can beat the market at the same time thousands of other people lose.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Not completely true. If someone like Warren Buffet makes the correct big plays he could cover thousands of bad plays from the rest of us. I think a few really wealthy people can beat the market at the same time thousands of other people lose.
Maybe but for every Warren Buffet there's probably a high roller than thinks he can beat the market that doesn't. Half the mutual funds are above the mutual fund average by definition.

But you're right. Half the $ are above the market not half the players.