cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Cassette question

My buddy recently bought a compact crankset off eBay. I'm not totally sure why he did so, other than to have something to talk to the boys about. Its a 50/34. He is currently using a 12/25 9-speed rear cassette, to go along with his 50/39/30 triple crank.

We live a fairly hilly/mountainous area. My question is, in your experience is this going to be a good gear combo for him? He is a great sprinter, but is lacking a bit in climbing power. Is the 34-25 combo in his granny gear going to enough to get him up a serious grade, in the range of 18-22%?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

will educate me on this subject a little bit.. i have no idea what i have..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310
Default 18-22% grade???

Wow, masochists. I know I couldn't do it with that gearing. All I know is that a number of years ago, after having been off the bike for a few months, I tried riding up Guardsman's Pass, with a sign stating 12%, and I couldn't do it in my lowest gear, 39-23. I'd rather have a mountain bike for 18-22%.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

There aren't too many, but I can find 2 or 3 of these grades within riding distance from my house.

Every May we do the Tour of the Unknown Coast. "The Wall" over there is about 20% for 1 mile and then another mile at 14-16%. Several times I have looked down and seen a big, fat 2mph on my speedometer. Thats when you really feel like a man.

I'm certain I couldn't do it with a 39/23 either. Not after 80+ miles of riding at least. I'm the guy that uses a triple with a 25 on the rear cassette.

My suggestion to my buddy was to look for an 11/27 cassette. You get good coverage on either end of the set, and hopefully not too many gaps in the middle. I don't think they are very common, however.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
There aren't too many, but I can find 2 or 3 of these grades within riding distance from my house.

Every May we do the Tour of the Unknown Coast. "The Wall" over there is about 20% for 1 mile and then another mile at 14-16%. Several times I have looked down and seen a big, fat 2mph on my speedometer. Thats when you really feel like a man.

I'm certain I couldn't do it with a 39/23 either. Not after 80+ miles of riding at least. I'm the guy that uses a triple with a 25 on the rear cassette.

My suggestion to my buddy was to look for an 11/27 cassette. You get good coverage on either end of the set, and hopefully not too many gaps in the middle. I don't think they are very common, however.
There seems to be wisdom in this.

For reasons of laziness I typically stay in my 11 23 no matter the ride, but I do have a 12 25 and a 12 27. If I could get a one with a range of 11 - 27 that would be nice.

What happens when I get on those silly grades is pain in the knees afterwards. So even if you can muscle up the hill, it often results in knee fatigue.