cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor? Be honest.
Yes 31 77.50%
No 8 20.00%
Don't know 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Yes I am. Once I'm dead why would I need to hang on to perfectly good organs that could help save, or improve someone else's life? They're just going to stick me in the ground to rot after I'm dead anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is with cutting a few things out first. I have no hangups with that.
Ever seen what the body looks like after organ harvesters have done their job? If so, you may have a different opinion.

Granted, I'm speaking from the perspective of a funeral director who is charged with the duty of preparing the deceased for burial, but if you could see just how the deceased is desecrated when harvesting organs, it would open your eyes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Granted, I'm speaking from the perspective of a funeral director who is charged with the duty of preparing the deceased for burial, but if you could see just how the deceased is desecrated when harvesting organs, it would open your eyes.
But BDB's point is that it doens't really amtter to the deceased. The cow in the field may not want to become a big mac, but once that particualr cow is in the meat grinder, it no longer has any opinion on the subject.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to a 20-something-year-old man who died in California a few years ago, my sister-in-law has a heart today. Ask her, my bro and their 4 kids if they think that organ donors are a heaven sent.

I don't look down upon people for not donoring, but those who actually do volunteer one of their organs are angels in my book.

Think of the difference an organ donor can make in the life of another person.

Last edited by dut99002; 10-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut99002 View Post
Thanks to a 20-something-year-old man who died in California a few years ago, my sister-in-law has a heart today. Ask her, my bro and their 4 kids if they think that organ donors are a heaven sent.

I don't look down upon people for not donoring, but those actually do volunteer one of their organs are angels in my book.

Think of the difference an organ donor can make in the life of another person.
Well said. I am with BDB and Creekster on this. Dust to dust - who cares what a lifeless body looks like when you can make a difference like this?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I don't think there's a legit reason not to be one.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Ever seen what the body looks like after organ harvesters have done their job? If so, you may have a different opinion.

I think most would take umbrage calling it desecration, when it factually is not. Especially those who've been the beneficiary of an organ donor or related to someone else who has.

Go ahead and tell them they desecrated someone else so they may live and hopefully move on and live a prosperous life. Pretty classless, especially in light of your background in the business.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-19-2007 at 09:09 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You're seriously a funeral home director? Man, that explains a lot.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My two-year-old nephew drowned in a swimming pools a few years back. Due to his age and the circumstances they weren't able to donate much, but they did donate his corneas. They ended up going to a friend of a friend who was extraordinarily grateful. It brought great peace to my brother and his wife to hear this story.

When my FIL died recently, my MIL decided to donate his organs. When we got to the funeral home the next day, the funeral director (in a small Southern Utah town) gave her a hard time about it because it was going to make his work harder. My poor MIL felt terrible. I wanted to kill they guy right then and there, and it still makes my blood boil. I called up the hospital to tell them what happened and they filed an ethics complaint against the funeral home.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #19
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Default I am- but probably too old

to be considered for most parts!!
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #20
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
to be considered for most parts!!
You could donate your asshole to the Exute and JohnHaddow Memorial funds.