cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road
Default Prop 8 support cost him his job

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4780926
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Some people exercised their right to complain about him.

Haven't some people decided, for example, that they won't support any movies by Mel Gibson? Or Roman Polanski?

Now the fellow makes an equivalent donation to the Human Rights Campaign, I guess, symbolically "undoing" his prior donation to Prop 8. That's fine too.

Who knows, this may be the proudest moment for this guy, in his life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's nothing wrong going on here. People with money and works of dramatic art who support gay rights or are gay are perfectly entitled to withdraw support on this basis, just as Eckem was free to donate $1,000.

These are private indiviuals interacting with one another in the marketplace. This is how America works, God bless it. You can't separate freedom from accountability. Mormonism is paying a steep price for Propositon 8. I predict passage of the measure will have been a curse, in the end. I said there would be hell to pay with the intelligentsia.

A few years ago my law school dean got into a spat with the university presdient, and ultimately fired her. Influencial law shool alumni were livid and cancelled donations. The president ate a lot of crow, and withdrew the termination and reinstated the dean.

On a side note, what was this Eckem thinking? He had to know he was hurting many colleagues and business associates, even people who had made him successful. I wonder how many Prop. 8 supporters knew, as they made their donations, or voted, they were hurting work colleagues, neighbors, the families of their children's playmates?

I have no pity for Eckem. Karma. He'll probably have to go back to Utah and get a job at a Mormon theatre and learn to live on a big pay cut.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

if people want to boycott Elton John for his recent statements, that is fine too.

Or boycott the Bastian fellow in Utah, in whatever enterprise he runs. That is fine.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Sure, individuals and institutions have a right to take their business elsewhere if they disagree with the political views of another person or institution.

I don't think it's an admirable thing to do, however. And the more you let these non-business considerations enter your decision-making the worse it is for your business.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Sure, individuals and institutions have a right to take their business elsewhere if they disagree with the political views of another person or institution.

I don't think it's an admirable thing to do, however. And the more you let these non-business considerations enter your decision-making the worse it is for your business.
then businesses that punish pro-8 businesses will be punished themselves, whereas businesses that don't use that to make decisions will be rewarded.

It will all work itself out.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Or boycott the Bastian fellow in Utah, in whatever enterprise he runs.
Sadly, people already started doing that about 16 years ago.

Last edited by Clark Addison; 11-13-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:

You don't think the theater made a financial decision? I think in art goodwill is a big part of what you're selling.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You don't think the theater made a financial decision? I think in art goodwill is a big part of what you're selling.
The theater says they didn't ask him to leave. And if they did ask him to leave, it appears they would have only been responding to the threat of a boycott from the artistic community like the Hairspray guy. So yes, it would have been a financial decision by the theater.

Anyway, the main message in this story for me is:

Think for yourself. The Church gave "general advice" to it's members to support Prop 8. But they don't know you individually or what line of work you are in (Who knew there were straight, LDS theater artistic directors out there?) or what the potential ramifications may be for your family and career. You have a responsibility to think things through for yourself instead of blindly following.

I'm pretty sure if you asked one of the GAs, "Do I still have to donate money to Prop 8 if it will likely mean the loss of my livelihood and inability to support my family?" he would answer, "No way. Nevermind -- it doesn't apply to you. You have to do what is best for you and your family."
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Think for yourself. . . . You have a responsibility to think things through for yourself instead of blindly following.
What planet are you from? This is most emphatically not the LDS Church's message. It does not want you thinking for yourself. What they want you to do is blindly follow, and they're explicit about that. Good grief.

This is my message, actually.

They didn't ask him to leave like the U of U didn't ask Ray Giacoletti to leave.

—Paul Auster