cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default My first crash

...on my new bike, that is (the one I bought last fall). I was cruising down the canyon trail after biking to the top of South Fork and I came up on a group of longboarders. As is often the case, they were bunched up and hogging the trail. I slowed down and yelled "coming on your left". Some dumbass girl panicked and jumped off her board sending it right over in front of my tire and down I went. I wasn't going very fast, so I just ended up with some road rash on my elbow and a bruised hip. But my bike is all scraped up on the right side. I guess it's broken in now.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

SO what happened? Are you a belligerent victim or were you calm? I usually loose my cool when something like that happens and lay into them. WHat did you do?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
SO what happened? Are you a belligerent victim or were you calm? I usually loose my cool when something like that happens and lay into them. WHat did you do?
That is because you have a pretty big ego.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I stayed pretty calm. She knew it was her fault so she apologized profusely. I cussed a little but not too much. She looked to be about 16 years old, so I didn't have the heart to really go after her. She looked terrified. I brushed myself off, told her to pay attention and stay in the proper lane and rode off.

Interestingly, I had plenty of energy for the rest of the ride home. Funny what a little adrenaline will do.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Contrary to the bumper stickers that I used to see during the 90s, I believe skateboarding is a crime.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Glad you weren't going that fast. Sucks about the bike, though. Hopefully everything is just cosmetic.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Will little miss longboarder be paying for your bike repairs? I despise longboards.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Will little miss longboarder be paying for your bike repairs? I despise longboards.
Longboards are for numbskulls. The fact that you saw them in a large group and there was a girl in their midst speaks volumes as to the legitimacy of the activity. Skaters don't go on scenic canyon rides. At least not on their boards.

What the heck is the point of a longboard? You can only use them to go downhill and you can do nothing on them but carve back and forth. "Weee, I am cruising down the street wearing sandals and holding a big gulp!"

Sector 9 is the worst thing to happen to the skate industry since Gorilla Ribs were invented. I wish longboards would go away. Or at least be cast down to rollerblade status, which is to say, completely laughable and embarrassing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
"Weee, I am cruising down the street wearing sandals and holding a big gulp!"
You couldn't have said it any better.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Longboards are for numbskulls. The fact that you saw them in a large group and there was a girl in their midst speaks volumes as to the legitimacy of the activity. Skaters don't go on scenic canyon rides. At least not on their boards.

What the heck is the point of a longboard? You can only use them to go downhill and you can do nothing on them but carve back and forth. "Weee, I am cruising down the street wearing sandals and holding a big gulp!"

Sector 9 is the worst thing to happen to the skate industry since Gorilla Ribs were invented. I wish longboards would go away. Or at least be cast down to rollerblade status, which is to say, completely laughable and embarrassing.
There are a lot of longboarders around the UW campus, and I think most I've seen are wearing sandals.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a student was rolling down a street in the middle of the night, decided he was in too big of a hurry to stop at a red light, and ran into the side of a bus. He fell under, and the rear wheels went right over his head. I heard that the aftermath was not pretty, to say the least.

An article I read about this tragedy said that he always rode while wearing sandals. I also read that he was quite a bright student. Really sad that this happened, but come on, did he think he was invincible?

And how would you like to be the driver, probably fraught with guilt over this, even though she did nothing wrong (she didn't even know anything happened until police stopped her bus a few blocks later)?
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote