cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend ride reports

We had a great group ride on Saturday. 6 of us headed up into the hills for one of our classic routes - 42 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing.

We had a killer cross wind the first 10 miles, which is supposed to be our gentle warm-up for the hills. Our average speed dropped almost 5 mph from normal that first stretch. Legs were already burning when we hit the hills.

There were 4 of us who were feeling lively and went hard. The 5th guy, the strongest of the bunch by far was having a recovery day, and the 6th guy is a clydesdale who is great on the flats and the downhills.

By the time we hit the big hills, the wind died down and we had a great 20 miles in the big trees.

The last 12 miles are a slight down grade with a few rollers. Its always very fast through here and saturday didn't disappoint. It always ends in a KOM sprint up the last hill before we come back to town. I was in third position at the base and went for it. I had a decent gap until about 2/3 of the way up when the two climbers in the group reeled me in, beating me by a bike length to the top. Max HR was at 184.

Great ride overall. I was wiped out later that day, but am feeling much better about the Death Ride in 5 weeks. I just hope my 36/27 combo will be enough for those long climbs.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20031
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I went mountain biking with my son. We hit the Upper Sacramento Ditch Trail and rode it to the top of the Dam and back (Shasta Dam for all you non-locals).

18 miles round trip, but they are 18 pretty easy miles. Great to spend quality time with the kid though, I think he really enjoyed it.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 06-09-2008 at 09:42 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

My ride was 22.5 miles. 15.0 mph. It took me 1 hour to get to Primary Children's and 1/2 hour to get back. I guess I was riding just to ride. I like going through some of the pretty parts of Holladay and Sugarhouse and check out the tree lined streets and interesting houses. I'd like to get a bit more serious about cycling, but I'm lacking on motivation, big on laziness and don't have a training schedule or cycling group.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 06-10-2008 at 02:14 AM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=5916794

My feet were cold and my back was tight. Solo ride since nobody else really wanted to ride Saturday. I really need some warm weather.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=5916794

My feet were cold and my back was tight. Solo ride since nobody else really wanted to ride Saturday. I really need some warm weather.
19.3 mph is pretty dang fast for a solo ride in the cold and wind. Arch had better beware.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
19.3 mph is pretty dang fast for a solo ride in the cold and wind. Arch had better beware.
I have my gonchas to latch on to the speed train. Nice thing about Viking is his draft is large enough to hide me.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have my gonchas to latch on to the speed train. Nice thing about Viking is his draft is large enough to hide me.
I can attest to that. Get on his wheel and hold on for dear life.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I went mountain biking with my son. We hit the Upper Sacramento Ditch Trail and rode it to the top of the Dam and back (Shasta Dam for all you non-locals).

18 miles round trip, but they are 18 pretty easy miles. Great to spend quality time with the kid though, I think he really enjoyed it.
That's beautiful.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote