cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Earlier today, I witnessed what could have been a tragic accident..

between a cyclist and an idiot in a big Chevy Colorado with about an 8 inch lift kit.

I was behind the truck driving north on 300 West at 6100 South. I could see a cyclist ahead and I moved a bit more to my left to pass the cyclist, but the moron in the truck didn't and as the truck approached 5900 South, it just moved into the turn lane without even looking for the cyclist. If the cyclist hadn't jumped off his bike to the right, he would have been crushed because the truck ran right over the bike and destroyed it. The cyclist had to hop over the little cement wall that separates the southbound TRAX line and 300 West. Fortunately, there was no train in the vicinity.

Well the moron in the truck gets out and starts to yell at the cyclist. The cyclist didn't take well to it and went after the guy. They scuffled for a bit until the cyclist had promptly kicked the other guy's ass. (By now, I had pulled into the parking lot on the other side of the street to watch what was going on.)

Somebody called the cops and when they got there, the guy in the truck was livid about getting his ass kicked and the minimal damage his truck received from his being an inconsiderate idiot. One officer turned and asked if anyone saw what had happened, so I told him exactly what did happen. The officer thanked me then opened up the ticket book and started writing.

The truck guy went berserk and it took both officers there about 5 minutes to finally slap cuffs on him and put him in the back of one of the cop cars.

I don't know what happened after that, because the officer I talked to thanked me for the info and asked that, unless I had any more info, to go about my business. So I left.

What could have been tragic turned out to be rather amusing. The weasel in the truck got his ass kicked and ended up in cuffs. Hopefully, he'll have to replace the cyclist's bike.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
between a cyclist and an idiot in a big Chevy Colorado with about an 8 inch lift kit.

I was behind the truck driving north on 300 West at 6100 South. I could see a cyclist ahead and I moved a bit more to my left to pass the cyclist, but the moron in the truck didn't and as the truck approached 5900 South, it just moved into the turn lane without even looking for the cyclist. If the cyclist hadn't jumped off his bike to the right, he would have been crushed because the truck ran right over the bike and destroyed it. The cyclist had to hop over the little cement wall that separates the southbound TRAX line and 300 West. Fortunately, there was no train in the vicinity.

Well the moron in the truck gets out and starts to yell at the cyclist. The cyclist didn't take well to it and went after the guy. They scuffled for a bit until the cyclist had promptly kicked the other guy's ass. (By now, I had pulled into the parking lot on the other side of the street to watch what was going on.)

Somebody called the cops and when they got there, the guy in the truck was livid about getting his ass kicked and the minimal damage his truck received from his being an inconsiderate idiot. One officer turned and asked if anyone saw what had happened, so I told him exactly what did happen. The officer thanked me then opened up the ticket book and started writing.

The truck guy went berserk and it took both officers there about 5 minutes to finally slap cuffs on him and put him in the back of one of the cop cars.

I don't know what happened after that, because the officer I talked to thanked me for the info and asked that, unless I had any more info, to go about my business. So I left.

What could have been tragic turned out to be rather amusing. The weasel in the truck got his ass kicked and ended up in cuffs. Hopefully, he'll have to replace the cyclist's bike.
What a wonderful story. Thanks for relating it.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What a wonderful story. Thanks for relating it.
As I drove away, I started to get ticked about the guy in the truck and I kind of wish I would have gotten close enough to take a few shots of my own at him, though my help wasn't needed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Was this your typical skinny, shaved-legged, lycra-wearing cyclist? If thats the case, it makes the story all the better. I can't help but picture in my mind that cyclist fight that we've linked several times here where the one guys throws the big reverse windmill punch and very nearly connects.

That made my day.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Was this your typical skinny, shaved-legged, lycra-wearing cyclist? If thats the case, it makes the story all the better. I can't help but picture in my mind that cyclist fight that we've linked several times here where the one guys throws the big reverse windmill punch and very nearly connects.

That made my day.
Yes, he was. Dude looked like a shorter version of Lee Cummard.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

But for the initial cause of the confrontation, a great story. Thanks for relating it. Cyclist beating lifted pick-up driver is not unlike man bites dog.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the redneck claiming that the cyclist had done wrong?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What was the redneck claiming that the cyclist had done wrong?
He was upset that the cyclist was on the road and didn't get out of the way when he wanted to make a right turn. The trouble with his story was that he forgot to tell the cop that he didn't signal his intent to turn and just moved over without even looking to see where the cyclist was. He was also ticked that the handlebars on the bike scratched a bit of pain off the passenger door.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Great story.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
mattbikeboy

mattbikeboy is on a distinguished road

For my first post I have to say that is an Awesome story!

It cracks me up a lot since I had my first experience with a driver that tried (three times) to run us off the road recently after 20 plus years of riding. Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone on me to get a little police envolvement -- man maybe it could have ended up like your story!

mbb
mattbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote