cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Today's sufferfest. July 5

Needing to catch up to the fitness of Viking, who is superior in technique, experience, talent and fitness, which about says it all, I jumped from sixty milers to a century in the week post race.

So my riding partners decided today was the day to hammer beyond all recognition. We hammered and pace-carred it down the hill, hitting near sixty. He hammered up the hill. So we're about thirty miles into this ride from hell, and remember I'm in Vegas in the summer, and he says to his wife and me, okay, now you go the hard way while I go home. His wife had a few kind words for him.

Somebody summoned the wind God because whichever direction we headed, it was smack into our face. And although I rarely need extra liquid, I went through ten twenty ounce bottles. It was completely miserable trying to keep core temperatures down all the while responding to attacks up the hills. At about a temperature of 105, I noticed I was going through two bottles in less than an hour my core temperature was still rising.

At mile 60 we had another somewhat mild climb averaging 3-4 percent grade until the top, which it slides up to 7 percent, usually not a problem but when you have no more liquid, wind whipping you in the face and an attack to counter, it was more than enough.

And unlike normal I actually let the group stop at the convenience stores. So I showed weakness. We drenched our jerseys completely in water, left after drinking about forty ounces.

Oh yeah, don't try this at home. Don't leave without checking how much money you have. I had two dollars, no breakfast a few blocks. My I Bike says I burned about 6000 calories, so I came in empty.

I even had to stop one more time to drench the jersey which stayed wet for another ten minutes. Miles 60-90 were hellacious making me think I might need bungy chords on Viking. But at mile 90, after turning simple 4 percent grades into L'Alpe d'Huez climbs, with my speed dropping to 10.8 mph (I was not going below 10 on those silly uphills), my body started recovered giving a scintilla of hope that I might be able to be within thirty minutes of the Norseman.

A little jog afterwards and a jump in the pool to round out the day.

Tomorrow more of the same. I'm warming to the idea of taking our time and gaining weight.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-05-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Between the wind and the heat that must have been brutal. You'll enjoy the cool mountain air in September and fly.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Between the wind and the heat that must have been brutal. You'll enjoy the cool mountain air in September and fly.
I tried your suggestion today and soft-pedaled eighty in five hours including stops. When you laze around, it's kinda fun. I've never done that before.