cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Starting to get into Spin class

So my wife dragged me to spin class with her the other week and I loved it. I haven't been on a bike since the mission almost 10 years ago. Any of you go spin? I think Marsupial said she does it.

Anyway, I am looking at getting some shoes. What do I need and what would any of you recommend?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I don't wear cycling shoes for spin. I just wear my normal gym shoes. For those who wear cycling shoes for spin, I'm wondering what's the benefit?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I don't wear cycling shoes for spin. I just wear my normal gym shoes. For those who wear cycling shoes for spin, I'm wondering what's the benefit?
Your leg can do work on the upstrokes. If your regular shoes go into a pedal strap then there really isn't much difference at all.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 06-15-2008 at 11:44 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I did a spin class at the gym once or twice a week during this past winter. It was a great workout. A lot of it depends on the instrctor and how motivated you are, but if you are working hard it can be every bit as tough as a good ride on the road.

I did wear my mountain biking shoes for the reason that SteelBlue mentioned. There were about 3 or 4 of us that did out of the 25 people in the class. They basically help smooth out your pedal stroke. They are also a little stiffer than regular running shoes, so you should have less chance of getting numb foot if you do a longer class. If you are going to get serious about it, I would recommend it.

Might I also suggest a pair of cycling shorts. To be worn under your gym shorts, of course.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with bluegoose. You could try it with your regular shoes for awhile and see how it goes. I find that the pedal straps hurt my feet and never feel quite secure. I got a pair of cycling shoes because I inherited Mike's old bike, and mean to try riding when I can. I guess that would be when the kids both become of school age.

But, if you're going to get serious about it, cycling shoes are going to be more comfortable.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be investing some shorts before the shoes though I am getting more and more used to the saddle.

I actually puked today towards the end of class. I had to excuse myself and run to the bathroom to blow chunks. But I rinsed my mouth and my face and got right back on the bike for my cool down.

Fun stuff. If I had some money I'd probably consider a bike.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be investing some shorts before the shoes though I am getting more and more used to the saddle.

I actually puked today towards the end of class. I had to excuse myself and run to the bathroom to blow chunks. But I rinsed my mouth and my face and got right back on the bike for my cool down.

Fun stuff. If I had some money I'd probably consider a bike.
Thats funny. The first time that I did a spinning was about 5 years ago. I thought I was in decent shape just through playing basketball and occasionally running. About 2/3 of the way through the class I had to excuse myself out the back door to fertilize the plants behind the building. But, like yourself, after I got that out of my system, it was back on the bike to finish the class.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote