cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ride report

I am slow and not getting faster. After 74 miles with lots of hills and a guy I've never seen before beating my butt up the hills, I come away knowing I must either suffer tremendously in the next several months or that I will suck.

We lazy it until the first major hill, so I piddle it up when a rocket shoots by me and I'm in my big ring having no time to react. So I plod ahead when two more come up so I react and spank them, but down the hill I'm not able to shake the rocket. How discouraging. Next major hill, same result.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I went for 2 hours and got in just over 40 miles. Went from my brothers house in Mapleton to a little ways up Payson Canyon and back. Rode the route for the Salem triathlon next weekend to get a feel. It is going to be a fast course. I wish we would have went back and done some swimming in the pond as well.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Fifty miles into my seventy mile ride today I hit a bonk like I haven't experienced in years. I had a big breakfast and thought I would be okay with only one gel pack but I wasn't. At mile 55 I even got off my bike and rested by a small ditch for about five minutes. The last 15 were painfully slow and to top it off I got a cramp in my inner thigh climbing a small hill to my neighborhood. It was a good lesson to learn early in the year to make sure you get enough fuel in you when you ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

COmpare our ride reports and you will see why I am not doing lotoja.

To celebrate our anniversary my wife and I took the tandem on a pancake flat 20 miler along the bayshore on the SF peninsula. My computer's battery died so not exactly sure how far or how fast, but we did catch and pass an old guy on an ancient steel frame with toe clips.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I spent Saturday in the car for 6 hours driving to and from the Sacramento temple for the sealing of a gal that I home teach. While it was a great day altogether, it was not so good for my training schedule.

I had a decent ride of about 55 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing on Memorial Day last weekend and then a couple of 20-30 miles rides mid week. I'm hoping to put in about 120 miles the next 3 or 4 weeks. Or else I will may very well croak in 6 weeks at the death ride.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I spent Saturday in the car for 6 hours driving to and from the Sacramento temple for the sealing of a gal that I home teach. While it was a great day altogether, it was not so good for my training schedule.

I had a decent ride of about 55 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing on Memorial Day last weekend and then a couple of 20-30 miles rides mid week. I'm hoping to put in about 120 miles the next 3 or 4 weeks. Or else I will may very well croak in 6 weeks at the death ride.
This weekend was 55, 74 and 50, so not 200 and with some slower, newer riders but at least I eeked out a few miles. I worry that Viking may leave me at the starting line, and drink a case of beers at the finish line, sleeping a few hours before I show up. One point which talented persons like goose miss, we untalented types need extra miles justs to ride the wheel of talented guys like Creekster and Viking.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This weekend was 55, 74 and 50, so not 200 and with some slower, newer riders but at least I eeked out a few miles. I worry that Viking may leave me at the starting line, and drink a case of beers at the finish line, sleeping a few hours before I show up.
Arch you're killing me. I had a 130 miles weekend and I'm still way behind you. Let's make a deal right now that our only goal is to finish before dark and we gain weight during the ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Arch you're killing me. I had a 130 miles weekend and I'm still way behind you. Let's make a deal right now that our only goal is to finish before dark and we gain weight during the ride.
I never invented any bike bra, have never broken five on a century and generally lack cycling talent, despite my unbridled enthusiasm. I should start a forum, cycling for slugs.

My ultra marathon friends re-started cycling and he will be great on hills but he's a chicken while descending.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I should start a forum, cycling for slugs.

How about "cycling for sand baggers"?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
How about "cycling for sand baggers"?
I golf, using that term loosely, as well as I cycle.