cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any thoughts on Johns Hopkins Univ.?

My son is thinking about applying for early admission to JHU as an undergraduate. He and my wife visited the campus this summer and since then he has been absolutely smitten with the place for some reason. I know little about it other than what I read on the web, which includes that it is expensive. He isn't sure if he can get in and the early admission process would enahcve his chances but also bind hiim to the place. Any thoughts either way? Anybody know about the LDS community there?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

He would be in my brother's ward - he lives in Baltimore. John's Hopkins is a great school, very expensive, and smack dab in the middle of the hood. My brother lives in downtown Baltimore and he has alot of stories about gunshots and crackheads and the whole nine.

I can get you in touch with my brother who could give you a better idea of what to expect. He could tell you about the ward and everything. He serves in the young mens. Private message me if you want.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously the Johns Hopkins name carries a lot of weight especially in its graduate programs such as Medical and IR. I am sure its undergraduate program is well thought of but I don't know much about it. But Baltimore is a great city, close to DC. Cost would be an issue...nothing better than $20K per year in undergraduate costs.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Inner Harbor is tight. One of the best baseball stadiums in the country if not the best. Plus some good action at Pimlico. And there is plenty of crack and women to spend the winnings on. What's not to love about Baltimore?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
Inner Harbor is tight. One of the best baseball stadiums in the country if not the best. Plus some good action at Pimlico. And there is plenty of crack and women to spend the winnings on. What's not to love about Baltimore?
Gee, that makes me feel very good. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
My son is thinking about applying for early admission to JHU as an undergraduate. He and my wife visited the campus this summer and since then he has been absolutely smitten with the place for some reason. I know little about it other than what I read on the web, which includes that it is expensive. He isn't sure if he can get in and the early admission process would enahcve his chances but also bind hiim to the place. Any thoughts either way? Anybody know about the LDS community there?
Johns Hopkins is a premier university. Absolutely first rate, Ivy League caliber. The medical school is always ranked second or third in the nation; it's the Yale of medical schools, as Yale is to law schools, that is.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother-in-law goes to the Johns Hopkins medical school. The university is in the middle of a high crime rate area, but my sister and bro-in-law live further out in a nicer area. He takes the train into school everyday, about a 20 minute commute. I think their ward recently split, it was huge before, and they had to pick up two or three of the lower-income members each Sunday for church. They have a close group of LDS fellow medical student friends. BIL got a full-ride scholarship (based on his grades and parent's income) so they are basically getting out of Med. school close to debt-free. I usually talk to sis. over the weekend, I can get more info. from her then.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
One of the best baseball stadiums in the country if not the best.
Being able to attend Orioles games would be reason enough for me to send my kid to Johns Hopkins.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you afforded sending your son to JHU, you wouldn't be able to afford going to Orioles games.

Did Baltimore get a soccer team called the Orioles?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

In my line of work I talk to many doctors from all over the country every day.

John Hopkins is the cream of the crop.