cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #41
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAX77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
You're right. Just like facial hair on Bishops or the Brethren. It's a matter of respect and reverence.
Respect and reverence? It's just a matter of looking clean cut more than anything else. It's almost a matter of brand recognition. I can't imagine what it has to do with respect and or reverence.
In one of my wards in Provo, I observed a 25 year old married man get turned down when he went up to pass the sacrament by another holier than thou guy who was going to bless the sacrament, saying the Lord would not approve of him allowing the married guy to pass because he had a goatee.....I know the guy was holier-than-thou because he was my home teaching comp.

I was pissed
Look there are lots of assholes in the church who act like the Pharisees of old. But I still maintain that the "dress code" is a matter of respect and or reverence. Although not officially the uniform of the priesthood, white is worn to officiate in almost every ordinance. If anyone is to participate in these ordinances like the Aaronic priesthood do then I believe they should wear white. White is reverent and it shows respect for the priesthood which they hold to participate in such services. That said if I am a Deacon's quorum advisor I am going to stress the importance of looking one's best when exercising the priesthood and that will include wearing white. Now if I have a deacon who wants to pass the sacrament but is not wearing a white shirt I am not going to tell him, "No, maybe next week when you wear white." It's far more important that he learns the importance of using his priesthood than how he should be dressed. Though I really do believe that there isn't such a disconnect between the two as some here suggest.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #42
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAX77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
You're right. Just like facial hair on Bishops or the Brethren. It's a matter of respect and reverence.
Respect and reverence? It's just a matter of looking clean cut more than anything else. It's almost a matter of brand recognition. I can't imagine what it has to do with respect and or reverence.
In one of my wards in Provo, I observed a 25 year old married man get turned down when he went up to pass the sacrament by another holier than thou guy who was going to bless the sacrament, saying the Lord would not approve of him allowing the married guy to pass because he had a goatee.....I know the guy was holier-than-thou because he was my home teaching comp.

I was pissed
Look there are lots of assholes in the church who act like the Pharisees of old. But I still maintain that the "dress code" is a matter of respect and or reverence. Although not officially the uniform of the priesthood, white is worn to officiate in almost every ordinance. If anyone is to participate in these ordinances like the Aaronic priesthood do then I believe they should wear white. White is reverent and it shows respect for the priesthood which they hold to participate in such services. That said if I am a Deacon's quorum advisor I am going to stress the importance of looking one's best when exercising the priesthood and that will include wearing white. Now if I have a deacon who wants to pass the sacrament but is not wearing a white shirt I am not going to tell him, "No, maybe next week when you wear white." It's far more important that he learns the importance of using his priesthood than how he should be dressed. Though I really do believe that there isn't such a disconnect between the two as some here suggest.
this is why you are wrong and its a cultural phenomenom not some uniform of the priesthood....

its a shirt, and it doesnt even compose half of the clothing one wears to church on sunday. if you want to make it a uniform and have it have some deep rooted spiritual symbolism make them wear white pants, ties, shoes, like at baptism and at the temple.....

how is wearing a white shirt demonstrate reverence when it is coupled with a black belt, black shoes, and black slacks?

another question, if one wears white pants and shoes and a non-white shirt and still be in accordance with the uniform of the priesthood?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #43
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
White is reverent and it shows respect for the priesthood which they hold to participate in such services.
There is nothing inherently reverent about the color white, nor does the color white show more respect than any other color. The wearing of white shirts is not Church doctrine, nor is it official policy. It is nothing more than a convention that has gained popularity in the last several years (this convention did not exist when I was a deacon) as a way to make the deacons look more like missiories.

This issue is beyond silly. I almost wish I were active so I could show up next week in a blue striped shirt, no tie, and facial hair.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #44
Surfah
Master

I said it wasn't the official church uniform. And though not explicitly stated the implication is that it is nothing more than cultural phenomonen. Bottom line: Who the hell cares? If the First Presidency released a statement to be read across all pulpits this Sunday stating that a white shirt and tie is the church uniform and must be worn to participate in all priesthood ordinances will your attitude change? I suspect not. You may comply, but you'll still think it is dumb. And you may be justified in your reasoning. But is it that important?

In my mind, my individuality or agency is not compromised by wearing a white shirt every Sunday, even if I am asked to do so. It's just not a big deal.

Personally, I wish Hinckley would have offered such a mandate about a year and a half ago when all of the metrosexual assholes in my ward thought pink was the shit.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what about salmon? I used to have a pink-orange shirt.

I need to get a pink one.

I have a green one that is almost flourescent. The stake patriarch walked up to me and said "you're shirt is so bright it almost burned my eyeballs out." I took it as a compliment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #46
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Quote:
White is reverent and it shows respect for the priesthood which they hold to participate in such services.
There is nothing inherently reverent about the color white, nor does the color white show more respect than any other color. The wearing of white shirts is not Church doctrine, nor is it official policy. It is nothing more than a convention that has gained popularity in the last several years (this convention did not exist when I was a deacon) as a way to make the deacons look more like missiories.

This issue is beyond silly. I almost wish I were active so I could show up next week in a blue striped shirt, no tie, and facial hair.
In my ward you may be overdressed. And in most others I have attended, many would not bat an eye.

I think white is reverent. I mean, I wouldn't call it loud.

In the end this whole debate is stupid. It is what it is. The only thing stupider than people who refuse to wear white are those who damn them for not wearing white.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 PM   #47
Surfah
Master

Here you guys go:

Shirts on sale of all Colors

Maybe Mike can add these to his list to make the site some moolah.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #48
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Not being too snobbish, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing an Arrow shirt. Yes, yes, arrogant to be sure.

Custom is where it's at. Try Empire Tailors in Hong Kong. They are great and cheap using Egyptian cotton. I love their shirts.

website is www.empiretailors.com
Old 01-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #49
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Personally, I wish Hinckley would have offered such a mandate about a year and a half ago when all of the metrosexual assholes in my ward thought pink was the shit.
thats funny....

i wore a pink shirt, grey slacks with no pleats of course, black sweater and topped off with a blue, pink and cream tie on sunday....

i looked like a metrosexual asshole, and i for sure thought the pink shirt was the shit!

:wink:
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Not being too snobbish, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing an Arrow shirt. Yes, yes, arrogant to be sure.

Custom is where it's at. Try Empire Tailors in Hong Kong. They are great and cheap using Egyptian cotton. I love their shirts.

website is www.empiretailors.com
so how much, on average, is a shirt?

I tried to do a mock order, and it didn't give me a price.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote