cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone see the church broadcast on Prop 8 last night?

I am curious who spoke and what they said. I don't think it would change my mind on the matter but I am curious nonetheless.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I heard it was not exactly a super secret broadcast. It was a few of our GAs speaking in conjunction with other coalition leaders.

Doesn't make it any less relevant, but it had been billed to us as a broadcast from SLC.

I wonder if creekster saw it? Or Steel?

I was at work, so unable to break away.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Apparently a new CBS poll shows Prop 8 up now, 47 to 42. I've heard that another poll shows similar results.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw it. It was announced to our ward and all were invited to attend. No time for a report now, but it was not very controversial and was more about outlining the efforts to be made for the next four weeks than naything substantive regarding doctrine or policy. If no one else does, I iwll report more later.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So the church is behind this:

Quote:
Steve Smith, campaign manager for No on 8, said he wanted to be able to "match [opponents] dollar for dollar. If we don't get there, voters won't hear our messages."

Smith also said his forces are being outspent in part because of a surge in contributions from Mormon Church members.

"I don't think we have ever seen a single religion in the state . . . so significantly participate in one political campaign," Smith said.

Officials with the Mormon Church did not respond to e-mails seeking comment.

Meanwhile, gay and lesbian Mormons are criticizing members of their faith who support Proposition 8, pointing out that Mormons were once persecuted for defining marriage outside the traditional view of one woman and one man.

"The Mormon Church teaches that we should be building families," said David Melson, assistant executive director of Affirmation, a group of gay and lesbian Mormons. "Through measures like Proposition 8, they are working to tear families apart."

It is unclear how far ahead backers of Proposition 8 are in terms of fund-raising. The campaign tried to file its latest finance report Monday, the deadline for making the disclosure. But Kate Folmar, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Debra Bowen, said the report was so voluminous that the state's computer could not handle it. Technicians were working on the problem Tuesday, Folmar said.

Also this week, both campaigns ramped up their outreach to Latinos.

The Yes on 8 side began airing a commercial on dozens of Spanish television stations that warned that children would be taught about gay marriage if the proposition was not approved. The spot features a little girl whose class reads a fairy tale about a prince who can't find a princess to marry -- so instead he marries a prince. Campaign officials said the ad would begin airing in English soon too.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/po...,1678837.story

This is the LDS church in 2008. Putting money into this campaign to get ads like that on the air.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

This is the LDS church in 2008. Putting money into this campaign to get ads like that on the air.
This is my MIL's number 1 fear about legalizing gay marriage--the reading of "gay" stories in school. I'm not kidding. I think this strikes a chord with a lot of people.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Is the LDS Church putting money into this campaign or is it individual members of the LDS Church?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's one thing to be against gay marriage.

But I think the church's public stand on the issue, as expressed intellectually, is bankrupt.

No doubt this is what Pelagius got upset about and led him to calling me dishonest.

The church has displayed less thought than even the CATHOLIC church. The true church on earth again plays little brother to the Catholic church.

Slightly disappointing.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apparently a new CBS poll shows Prop 8 up now, 47 to 42. I've heard that another poll shows similar results.
This surprises me. I always thought most Californians were forward thinking. It proves this country is still decades away from equality for all its citizens. I thought ultra conservative views were on the decline.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is the LDS Church putting money into this campaign or is it individual members of the LDS Church?
Is the church using its facilities for this effort? YES.

Do facilities cost money? YES.

Is the church strong-arming prominent members? YES.

Is the church using its claimed imprimatur with God to get people in line? YES.