cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

There's something, I say, there's something kinda 'yeeee' about a guy that doesn't like dogs.
Excellent.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What do you like the most about Jenna? Is it all the plastic surgery? The duck lips? Or the STDs?

She is now pregnant with Tito Ortiz's baby....future Rhodes Scholars, look out!

One positive thing for that fetus.....LOTS of room to move around, put an entertainment center in there, couch, etc...

Jenna personifies the American Dream. I respect her business acuity and ability to turn fake moaning into an enormous business empire. Damn, I love this country!

As for the birth canal, Jenna could birth my lil CJ, who was 12 lbs 8 oz at birth, like shit through a goose. There are obviously some advantages of such a proffesional vocation. She is like the anti-barrister.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Our version of this emails says that we are having a joint r.s. and p-hood meeting about prop 8 durring the 3rd hour on sunday. I thought that was strictly forbidden by the church...

Anyway, I won't be participating in or attending that meeting since my presence will not be good for me or any other member that is there.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Our version of this emails says that we are having a joint r.s. and p-hood meeting about prop 8 durring the 3rd hour on sunday. I thought that was strictly forbidden by the church...

Anyway, I won't be participating in or attending that meeting since my presence will not be good for me or any other member that is there.
I disagree. I think it would be helpful if those who oppose the Church perspective succinctly state their opposition. I think you would be surprised how many feel similarly but just lack the fortitude of their convictions. Your leadership could embolden them! How many MMMs were avoided because out there in Zion there was an OrangeUte to stand up to the John D. Lees and Higby's of the Kingdom?

Honestly, I feel more strongly about a day when folks who don't agree with the orthodox perspective can speak up freely in Church than I do Proposition 8.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #25
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Church can't get involved in moral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

issues? I must have missed that one.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #26
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I am a little surprised at the people who are just choosing to sit this one out. I'm not saying I would have the courage to voice my opinion in Church, but I would hope to. It seems a little cowardly to hide behind your computer.

It would be beneficial for the mullahs to hear a well-reasoned argument from the other side.

Sorry if this is taken as criticism. I'm kind of glad I don't live in CA and don't have to deal with this. Although I'm not sure I would be up to it, I think the ideal is speaking up.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #27
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
issues? I must have missed that one.
Omg - u really r an annoying pest - ano wonder u r an ex ute! I meant I thought that the church wanted all organization on this issue to occur off church owned property. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's what was communicated at some point in time.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #28
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I grew up in the Valencia 2nd Ward.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I am a little surprised at the people who are just choosing to sit this one out. I'm not saying I would have the courage to voice my opinion in Church, but I would hope to. It seems a little cowardly to hide behind your computer.

It would be beneficial for the mullahs to hear a well-reasoned argument from the other side.

Sorry if this is taken as criticism. I'm kind of glad I don't live in CA and don't have to deal with this. Although I'm not sure I would be up to it, I think the ideal is speaking up.
I responded to the email and told them I don't support prop 8 and won't be participating. Happy?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #30
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I disagree. I think it would be helpful if those who oppose the Church perspective succinctly state their opposition. I think you would be surprised how many feel similarly but just lack the fortitude of their convictions. Your leadership could embolden them! How many MMMs were avoided because out there in Zion there was an OrangeUte to stand up to the John D. Lees and Higby's of the Kingdom?

Honestly, I feel more strongly about a day when folks who don't agree with the orthodox perspective can speak up freely in Church than I do Proposition 8.
Goat - you make a good point. I may organize my thoughts to avoid being reactionary but to be well-reasoned and attend.

For the record, I am not sitting this out. I work with our SP and have let him know how I feel, although not in great detail.

I don't know whether it is my responsibility to do anything more than stand by my decision, but I certainly am not hiding behind my computer. I just don't know whether raising my views, which are in contravention to the church, at a rs/phood meeting is the place to air my convictions. Then again, if not there, than where?