cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess would be that they want the economic benefits of marriage more than anything else.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I think it is a biological response, your getting sick, not a spiritual response.

I am not so sure about God's intent like I used to be. I was sure homosexuality was a choice, now I am not. I was sure a man couldn't be born who was really a woman. Now I know that stuff happens. How can I condemn a baby born that way. I guess I could be pissed at God for letting it happen, but I prefer just not to think I know God's intent.
So if it's not Gods intent, why is the church so adamantly against it?

Like I said I suppose this is like the Blacks and the priesthood, someday the Brethren will come around to the correct way of thinking and allow Bill and Ted to be married for eternity in the Temple.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post

Like I said I suppose this is like the Blacks and the priesthood, someday the Brethren will come around to the correct way of thinking and allow Bill and Ted to be married for eternity in the Temple.
The Church of today is significantly different than the church of 150 years ago. I expect the Church of 150 years from now to be significantly different that the church of today.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Why do they want to get married? Maybe they are tired of having sex.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Why do they want to get married? Maybe they are tired of having sex.
LOL....sounds like a voice of experience.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If God is OK with birth control, why was the church so adamently against it in the 60's.

I doubt very much we will ever see Bill and Ted happily having a wedding ceremony.

I personally don't think you can say what God's intent though will be for all time based on what the church is adamantly for or against right now. I can see the day when a fornicator isn't excommunicated and told to stand in front of the Priesthood and confess and apologize for his sin.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If God is OK with birth control, why was the church so adamently against it in the 60's.

I doubt very much we will ever see Bill and Ted happily having a wedding ceremony.

I personally don't think you can say what God's intent though will be for all time based on what the church is adamantly for or against right now. I can see the day when a fornicator isn't excommunicated and told to stand in front of the Priesthood and confess and apologize for his sin.
My parents, whom I just spoke with concerning the birth control issue you raised, said they weren't aware of it being taught over the pulpet, they said the could not even recall it being discussed as a serious discussion by anyone with real authority.

Things that make you go hmmmm...........
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #18
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My parents, whom I just spoke with concerning the birth control issue you raised, said they weren't aware of it being taught over the pulpet, they said the could not even recall it being discussed as a serious discussion by anyone with real authority.

Things that make you go hmmmm...........
Wow 71, you've been caught in a lie AGAIN. When will you learn.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Wow 71, you've been caught in a lie AGAIN. When will you learn.
LOL, well I remember being in a Zone Conference. One of the Elders asked what do we tell people when they ask about our stand on birth control.

We were told by the mission President that we are to teach the Doctrine of the Church. We don't believe in birth control.

Perhaps if I had been in the stage of life I am now, I would have raised my hand and said, is that really church doctrine of your own opinion. Back then I just assumed the President knew more about church doctrine than I did.

I do know young people were told not to put off marriage or put off having children. The fact mormons were known for having large families would tend to support my contention.

It isn't a big deal to me. Maybe I was just around more of the fundamentalist folks in the church than T Blue's parents were.

Last edited by BYU71; 02-28-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
BYU71

"We declare it is a grievious sin before God to adopt restrictive measures in disobedience to Gods command to multiply and replenish the earth, surely those who project such measures to prevent life or destroy life before or after birth will reap the whirlwind of God's retribution, for God will not be mocked.

Prophet Harold B. Lee, conference report Oct. 1972, pg 63

You can go to yahoo and look up Ezra T Bensons comments where he uses the word "evil". You can look up what Brother McConkie had to say and others.

Nice to know I didn't make this stuff up and actually was listening to the brethern back in my youth. Hmmmmmmmm