cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welfare couple names son after Adolph Hitler

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warr...l=3&thispage=1

Fearing that Himmler would be left out, they named one daughter after him. As well as another daughter with the name 'Aryan Nations.'

ShopRite refused to make a cake inscribed with 'Adolph Hitler.' So the family went to WalMart, which was happy to oblige.

Incidentally there was a kid I grew up with whose given name was Adolph. He went by an unrelated nickname. He was hispanic. Shame when a bad dude ruins a previously decent name.

The best part is that this family subsists on govt. assistance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't name a kid after one of the most evil persons in history, but I don't think they should have been denied service because of it, though it's certainly within the business's right to do so.

I wonder if this same place would have a problem if someone named their kid after Reverend Wright?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a German, named Rosenauer, who was a neuro surgeon, formerly of the Luftwaffe but an immigrant to the US, whose name unfortunately was Adolf.

He also got VA benefits even though he had served in the German air force, because the people awarding benefits simply asked him if he had served in WWII. He had, .... but not for our side.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I wouldn't name a kid after one of the most evil persons in history, but I don't think they should have been denied service because of it, though it's certainly within the business's right to do so.

I wonder if this same place would have a problem if someone named their kid after Reverend Wright?
they weren't denied service. they said they would make the cake with everything but the name, and would leave space for the family to write in the name themselves.

is there some moral equivalence between adolph hitler and rev. WRight that I am not aware of?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
s there some moral equivalence between adolph hitler and rev. WRight that I am not aware of?
Not really, though both taught/teach hatred. I'm just curious what would happen if there was a request like that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

A lot of famous people have ruined perfectly good names, even if they are not evil. Elvis, for example. Elvis is a great name, but any kid named Elvis now would be haunted by the King.

We almost didn't name our third what we did because of a certain popular boy band, but we're hoping this band is on its way out soon.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think Lancebass is a perfectly good first name.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We had a German, named Rosenauer, who was a neuro surgeon, formerly of the Luftwaffe but an immigrant to the US, whose name unfortunately was Adolf.

He also got VA benefits even though he had served in the German air force, because the people awarding benefits simply asked him if he had served in WWII. He had, .... but not for our side.
What kind of benefits? That's not like VA to give benefits in error. They normally like to refuse to give them in error.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
What kind of benefits? That's not like VA to give benefits in error. They normally like to refuse to give them in error.
This was years ago, long before they became so stingy. I heard it from the good doctor and his son. Now, because it was a story, it didn't occur to me to cross examine on the finer points. I don't know if it applied to a time in the fifties or how much later.