cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current state of rumor flux on Unga

Administration is leaking information, much like a Presidential leak, to monitor response, that Unga will not be allowed to return. I hope this rumor is inaccurate, but if not, it disappoints but doesn't surprise me.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you expect a Ute (Samuelson) to do?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what do you expect a Ute (Samuelson) to do?
If I knew we will do better, I'd be happy to see him go. He's been perhaps the single biggest disappointment as an administrator as BYU has seen in a very long time.

The schools with which I'm familiar are declining. The law school rankings have been declining steadily during his reign.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Why hire someone who doesn't want the job?

Only geniuses would do that.

In my opinion, it needs to NOT be treated as a CALLING, but treated as a JOB, and hire someone who is COMPETENT, nay even EXCELLENT.

But let's be honest. For some people, CONTROL is more important than excellence. They see the world as slipping away, thus a firm hand that can be shaped and directed is more important.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Why hire someone who doesn't want the job?

Only geniuses would do that.

In my opinion, it needs to NOT be treated as a CALLING, but treated as a JOB, and hire someone who is COMPETENT, nay even EXCELLENT.

But let's be honest. For some people, CONTROL is more important than excellence. They see the world as slipping away, thus a firm hand that can be shaped and directed is more important.
You made me smile.

Call somebody who never applied for it and who never had the credentials for it. Brilliant.

Dallin Oaks, and even Jeffrey Holland were reasonably good. I like Utah's current President, from what I've seen of his credentials.

If BYU continues to deteriorate academically, Utah may indeed become the school of devout LDS members. That sounds like an anathema, but Utah appears to be trying. Its law school is no longer prominent either.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Utah will never become that, because out-of-state Mormons are not going to pay the tuition costs.

If BYU deterioriates, you won't see much change. You might see a few of the top tier kids go to other schools instead, the ones that have a lot of academic options. Fewer kids will choose BYU over MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Utah will never become that, because out-of-state Mormons are not going to pay the tuition costs.

If BYU deterioriates, you won't see much change. You might see a few of the top tier kids go to other schools instead, the ones that have a lot of academic options. Fewer kids will choose BYU over MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc.
Well, if Utah wanted to market itself to top tier LDS, it would create special scholarships targeting top rated students.

BYU might maintain some critical mass, and perhaps losing some to top tier schools is a good thing, but I'm not convinced.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

BYU has no vision, no longterm master plan for what it is to be. Nothing to strive for.

It is a relic of another era, of other mens' plans.

It is trapped between competing philosophies of 1) the church should not be in the business of secular education, and 2) the church should be in the business of secular education, and should be among the best.

I imagine the Brethren see BYU as mostly important to the extent that it produces active members from whom will emerge future leadership in the church. That's why academic foci are less important.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Administration is leaking information, much like a Presidential leak, to monitor response, that Unga will not be allowed to return. I hope this rumor is inaccurate, but if not, it disappoints but doesn't surprise me.
So if the response is that people really want to see Unga back, will that help get him back or will the admin just prepare responses to the backlash?
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yz1 View Post
So if the response is that people really want to see Unga back, will that help get him back or will the admin just prepare responses to the backlash?
a backlash in the information gathering stage may swing it another way, but who knows.