cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default ok, so make the argument that BYU in 84 deserved #1 but Utah today doesn't

I don't see how you can defend the 84 national championship and then argue that Utah shouldn't be ranked #1 today. The same arguments used against Utah could easily be used against BYU in 84 and probably even more convincingly. One difference was Utah actually beat a highly ranked team in a bowl game. If the BCS existed in 84 the computers would have kept BYU out of the championship game and at best we finish #2 if we win a BCS game against someone. Also, the environment is totally different today. There wasn't nearly the amount of bias against the non-BCS conferences in 84 that there is today. Voters vote differently today than they did then. BCS conference membership is a lot more important and is worth votes in the polls. The pollsters instantly treated Louisville differently as soon as they joined the Big East. Just because they were in the BCS didn't mean their talent was magically better from one year to the next. That BCS label means everything now. It's even changed since 1996. Does anyone really think a 1-loss BYU team in 2009 could get ranked in the top 6?

Last edited by BlueK; 01-09-2009 at 05:32 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you will feel much better when you stop caring. trust me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you will feel much better when you stop caring. trust me.
I will say I didn't watch the BS Championship game last night and other than the Utah game I didn't watch any of the BS bowls.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I will say I didn't watch the BS Championship game last night and other than the Utah game I didn't watch any of the BS bowls.
Same here.

I watched the BYU debacle. Watched TCU/BSU (highly entertaining, for a football game). Watched Utah/Alabama. The rest was not worth watching.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, BlueK.

I joke about '84 not happening because I was on a mission and didn't see it, but the fact of the matter is that BYU was the only undefeated team that year. No other team could make that claim. And according to how a champion was named in those days, BYU was the only logical choice.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I don't see how you can defend the 84 national championship and then argue that Utah shouldn't be ranked #1 today. The same arguments used against Utah could easily be used against BYU in 84 and probably even more convincingly. One difference was Utah actually beat a highly ranked team in a bowl game. If the BCS existed in 84 the computers would have kept BYU out of the championship game and at best we finish #2 if we win a BCS game against someone. Also, the environment is totally different today. There wasn't nearly the amount of bias against the non-BCS conferences in 84 that there is today. Voters vote differently today than they did then. BCS conference membership is a lot more important and is worth votes in the polls. The pollsters instantly treated Louisville differently as soon as they joined the Big East. Just because they were in the BCS didn't mean their talent was magically better from one year to the next. That BCS label means everything now. It's even changed since 1996. Does anyone really think a 1-loss BYU team in 2009 could get ranked in the top 6?
Of course I can make the argument, it's easy. Voters unanimously voted BYU #1, so did the coaches. Voters didn't unanimously vote Utah #1 (or the coaches). End of story.

Winning the national title is a comparative exercise each year. How did Team A do compared to Teams B, C and D? Part of that analysis inevitably involves asking how Teams A, B, C and D performed last year too, as winning a title frequently involves building on the success of the prior year. Whether or not a given team would be good enough right now to win the title in 1984 isn't relevant. In 1984, BYU fared more favorably than any other team in America. In 2008, Utah fared more favorably than all but OU. Perhaps an undefeated Utah in 2009 would be sufficient. Perhaps not.

By the way, of course a 1 loss BYU team could wind up in the top 6 in 2009. It completely depends on what happens with other teams, when the loss occurs, and who the loss is to. If BYU beats OU and FSU but loses to TCU, could they be in the top 6? Sure, particularly if TCU doesn't have any other losses.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the 1984 thing is a mythical national championship.

emphasis on "mythical".

I would point to the Utah effort of 2008 as superior to the 1984 BYU effort. And I don't think it is close.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

emphasis on "mythical".

I would point to the Utah effort of 2008 as superior to the 1984 BYU effort. And I don't think it is close.
Agreed.

Only question I have turns on 2008 being able to defeat 2004. That team was tough.

I wish BYU would emulate Utah in building a football program, and surpass it, of course.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

emphasis on "mythical".

It isn't mythical. It happened. Unanimously. Perhaps Utah's overall achievements are more impressive to you in 2008. The voters didn't seem to think that was relevant in making their decision in 1984.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

when a bunch of fat old white men sit around and put their finger in the air and tell me who the best team is, excuse me if I don't care.