cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
here is what i wrote - reread it again. goodness some people don't take time to read and become very sensitive...

i was making a general comment on how samuelson is caught b/w being an academic and a leader of a church with apparent displeasure toward freedom of expression. this is not a slam against byu or the quality of education at that school.
You're on a BYU board. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive. I'm just failing to agree with some of your basic assumptions. You're finding it frustrating talking to me lately because your basic assumptions about BYU are never challenged when you post on Ute sites, but I (and most BYU fans) don't agree with them. If you want to use these assumptions, that are anti-BYU or negative towards BYU, in a BYU forum then you have to understand that you might have to establish them first.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #22
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yeah this academic freedom issue is a really tired one. I doubt if you have anything new to bring on the subject. Unless you think Samuelson is frustrated about not being able to talk about homosexuality, controversial aspects of LDS polygamy, or non-BOM jibing Mesoamerican anthropology then you probably don't have anything. I really doubt that frustration is what makes him appear lackluster to some BYU observers.
wow! again out of context. jay - dude, listen carefully. cecil has to be careful not to push issues b/c of the hierarchy of the church. that's what the comment mean. i think that is what makes him appear lackluster - you apparently disagree and that is fine.

now, tell me i have little-brother-itis. i love it when you say that.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
wow! again out of context. jay - dude, listen carefully. cecil has to be careful not to push issues b/c of the hierarchy of the church. that's what the comment mean. i think that is what makes him appear lackluster - you apparently disagree and that is fine.

now, tell me i have little-brother-itis. i love it when you say that.

I can buy

Quote:
cecil has to be careful not to push issues b/c of the hierarchy of the church.

But I don't buy

Quote:
it comes across as unimpressive b/c the church is afraid of academic impression beyond training young men and women to become adults of achievement in their professional fields.

I don't think this has anything to do with littlebrotheritis. Although you do seem to have a lot of time invested in following BYU matters. Maybe you just like both schools.

jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #24
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You're on a BYU board. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive. I'm just failing to agree with some of your basic assumptions. You're finding it frustrating talking to me lately because your basic assumptions about BYU are never challenged when you post on Ute sites, but I (and most BYU fans) don't agree with them. If you want to use these assumptions, that are anti-BYU or negative towards BYU, in a BYU forum then you have to understand that you might have to establish them first.
p.s. i don't post anywhere but here. how was my statement anti-byu or negative. it was merely throwing out an idea as to how samuelson could come across as lackluster.

p.s.s. i married a zoob, so my assumptions about byu are challended daily!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
OrangeUte

i wish i could figure out how to use these smiley faces so you could see that i'm actually smiling at you and not sneering at you. your posts are quality - especially the stuff with numbers and stats.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I disagree from top to bottom

Quote:
here is what i wrote - reread it again. goodness some people don't take time to read and become very sensitive...

i was making a general comment on how samuelson is caught b/w being an academic and a leader of a church with apparent displeasure toward freedom of expression. this is not a slam against byu or the quality of education at that school.
Is there a more Socratic church than the LDS Church? What other Church has mounds and mounds of dissertations and discourse on where were we, why are we here, and where are we going? It's the very nature of the Church and its members to inquire. In fact, it's the central message of everything we do.

You are making assumptions about BYU that will fit your Ute paradigm of what BYU is supposed to represent, rather than what it actually does. The fact is, BYU educated students have things in common, but they are far from the lemmings Utes would like us to be.

To posit that our academic institution, its leadership, and its professors are uniformly bending their personal beliefs for the sake of pandering to a stodgy Quorum of the 12 is a weakly veiled insult to every person involved with the university.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #27
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Is there a more Socratic church than the LDS Church? What other Church has mounds and mounds of dissertations and discourse on where were we, why are we here, and where are we going? It's the very nature of the Church and its members to inquire. In fact, it's the central message of everything we do.

You are making assumptions about BYU that will fit your Ute paradigm of what BYU is supposed to represent, rather than what it actually does. The fact is, BYU educated students have things in common, but they are far from the lemmings Utes would like us to be.

To posit that our academic institution, its leadership, and its professors are uniformly bending their personal beliefs for the sake of pandering to a stodgy Quorum of the 12 is a weakly veiled insult to every person involved with the university.
wow! simma down! again, not what i said.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #28
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
world's largest cocktail party only refers to the UF UGA game every year.
I am not going to worry about the rest of the posts. Just this. I have a question, isn't that the game that is play each year in Jacksonville Florida?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #29
OrangeUte

Yes. the home team rotates every year, but it is always played in jacksonville.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #30
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I recall a quote being attributed to Elder Holland, that was something to the extent of, if BYU's athletic team members would live the gospel to its highest standards, they would field one of the most successful teams in every sport that they compete in.

Urban legend?

If true, it could be interpreted to mean success in the eyes of God, not the AP voters.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote