cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sister Missionaries attacked in South Africa

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=340149

Very disturbing story. God bless them and their families.

(KSL News) We're learning more this morning about the assault on two female missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

A 22-year-old missionary from Kenya and her 21-year-old companion from California are serving in the South Africa Durban mission.

They were walking down a busy road Friday night in Port Shepstone when men armed with a gun and knife stopped them and ordered them into the bushes. The men robbed the women, raped them and shot the Kenyan missionary in the stomach. The bullet lodged in her rib cage. She's recovering in a hospital in Durban.

Local papers report in less than three hours the same four men went on a rampage, attacking and robbing at least three more groups.

Police have arrested four suspects.

The mission president says the missionaries plan to remain in South Africa and complete their missions.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement:

"Our prayers are with these two young sisters and their families. We pray that these two faithful young women and all who know and love them will be blessed with peace and comfort at this time."
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad story.

I had a friend who served a mission in the Ukraine. Two of the sister missionaries got raped. The mission president called in all the Elders with military experience and had them go and beat down the guys who did it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
Sad story.

I had a friend who served a mission in the Ukraine. Two of the sister missionaries got raped. The mission president called in all the Elders with military experience and had them go and beat down the guys who did it.
Horrible. I wonder how often this occurs but we don't hear about it.

I'm guessing the pres. had plenty of volunteers.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sad story.

I find it difficult to beleive that the mission president would not only condone, but authorize a beat down. It goes against everything the Church stands for. My guess would be that your friend was embellishing the story.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sad story.

What a load of crap!
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There are some amazing people in the church. How many of us would continue our missions following a rape and a beating?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

isn't South Africa considered the murder capital of the world? and just recently the person in charge of law enforcement said to people who were complaining about this that they could move out of the country if they wanted.

a guy in my ward served a mission in South Africa and found himself in many sketchy situations. He attributes his safety to God. But we shouldn't be surprised when violence comes to our missionaries when we stick them in dangerous, violent areas.

Probably the most dangerous situation I had when on my mission involved a jerk who was probably beating his wife/girlfriend/ex-wife (dont' remember the nature of the relationship). I would like to give him his due someday.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

There is no way that I would continue a mission if I were raped. What a sad world it is.

I only had one experience during my mission where I my life was in peril. A drunk neighbor of an investigator of ours tried to run us over at about 45 mph. Instead he hit our investigator who took it straight on.

I almost wonder why the church wouldn't pull all the sisters out of there.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

If they were raped, why would they not be FORCED to go home?

How can someone emotionally deal with that type of situation, focus on service, be so far away from home, deal with a different culture, not be able to run away on a drive, etc, etc, etc....

I hope they both come home, get counseling, surround themselves with good friends and get on with their lives.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
isn't South Africa considered the murder capital of the world? and just recently the person in charge of law enforcement said to people who were complaining about this that they could move out of the country if they wanted.

a guy in my ward served a mission in South Africa and found himself in many sketchy situations. He attributes his safety to God. But we shouldn't be surprised when violence comes to our missionaries when we stick them in dangerous, violent areas.
Sounds like typical overreacting.

Statistically, if one computes accidents and incidents for lads and lassies in this age group, our missionaries are usually quite safe.

Given the infrequent number of incidents, somebody is either exercising good judgment or some other protection is being afforded.

I hope the sisters receive counseling, but it may be the best counseling is moving on. I hope they receive what they need to receive, not what I or anybody else perceived they need to receive. It certainly is a traumatic experience, one which few. fortunately, must endure.

If they stay, let us hope it works out well for them. It would not surprise me if it created compassion toward the missionaries in the area and positively influenced the work.