cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This may be the silliest thing I've ever read in the New Yorker (which is saying a lot):

"When Ledger wields a knife, he is thoroughly terrifying (do not, despite the PG-13 rating, bring the children), and, as you’re watching him, you can’t help wondering—in a response that admittedly lies outside film criticism—how badly he messed himself up in order to play the role this way. His performance is a heroic, unsettling final act: this young actor looked into the abyss."

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic..._cinema_denby/

"This young actor looked into the abyss"? Good Lord. We're not talking about Keats or Poe or even Malcolm McDowell. We're talking about a Batman film, and Heath Ledger.

Ironically, Denby goes on to say that notwithstanding Ledger's virtuoso performance the film as a whole sucks.
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. He's a great villian. But he's more of a fun, cool villian not someone that's going to give you nightmares.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #42
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Saying it sucks might be taking it a stitch far. But I agree the jaunt out to Hong Kong was pointless, the death of Rachel seemed glossed over, and the movie had too many climaxes. When the end came it seemed truly ... well .... anti-climactic.
i thought the jaunt to Hong Kong was great. Took them out of their normal setting, quick and to the point.

i do agree the death of Rachel was not done well. We can't even figure out if he let her die on purpose or not. That's way too important of a point to not nail down better. And yes too long and too many climaxes. That said, extremely entertaining picture.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #43
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

One guy in our showing had 3 kids there under 5.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
i thought the jaunt to Hong Kong was great. Took them out of their normal setting, quick and to the point.
It may have been fun and aesthetically pleasing, but it didn't really advance the plot much. Could've easily done without it and still told the story.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
IPU wasn't impressed with Heath's performance in BBM. He wanted a real homosexual.
No, it was his performance in 10 things I hate about the movie my wife made me see.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #46
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

Il pad remove the pole shoved up your ass and enjoy life a little.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #47
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

I know I am in the distinct minority but I actually agree with Danby: it sucked. The last half an hour I kept hoping the joker would kill me.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #48
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Just adding my two cents (for what it's worth on the 5th page of this thread). I liked the movie a lot. I mean this is a comic book movie, helllooooooo, it is WAY better and has a lot more depth than the likes of Spiderman, X-men, Hulk, etc. I liked Batman Begins a lot as well. I am really looking forward to where this series goes and I like that it is a lot darker than the prior Batman series.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #49
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but I was surprised that the film was not an R due to all of the carnage and torture, including children being held at gunpoint. 10 years ago it would have been an R.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #50
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't know if this has been posted previously, but I was surprised that the film was not an R due to all of the carnage and torture, including children being held at gunpoint. 10 years ago it would have been an R.
Ever since we had our kids, I do not deal well with implied/actual violence towards children, as portrayed in media.

Not saying that I was fine with it before, but I knew it was just a movie. Now even in a movie it makes me very sad, almost to tears. I hated that scene that ute is describing.

That story yesterday about the guy who left his baby in the car to go see Batman also really distracted me for awhile. It was hard to read and I wanted to get it out of my head quickly. Beating your kids, leaving them in cars or gas stations, telling them that you dont want them, screaming at them or calling them names.....all these things are beyond me (not trying to spark up the spanking debate, btw).

I guess I get overly emotional at the thought of someone hurting my kids. It is just a movie, so I should probably lighten up Francis, but for whatever reason, I can't.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote