cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Every Academic Needs to Watch This

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/playground.php
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Why do you say that? Do you actually think that "Big Science" is illegally discriminating against those that want to teach religion in science class? Do you actually think those that are not able to publish legitimate research should be given special treatment and still be able to receive tenure? Do you actually think that litigation is the way a legitimate scientific theory would choose to gain acceptance?

ID has been thoroughly debunked by scientists, so creationists recognize they have no chance to gain acceptance other than to force themselves upon the establishment through lying to the public and through pressuring the courts. Of course, they frame the discussion in such dishonest ways as to make it seem like they have been "expelled," when in reality they have been rejected in the same way that thousands of other hypotheses have been rejected when they are not supported by the evidence. They are trying to circumvent the scientific method because they know that's the only way they have a chance.

Do you want your kids being taught born-again style fundamentalism in science class? Why? Would you want your kids being taught Muslim or Hindu creation stories in science class? Why can't we just teach science in science class?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

"Big Science" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"Big Science" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I thought the first time I heard they had chosen that term for their movie.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Why do you say that? Do you actually think that "Big Science" is illegally discriminating against those that want to teach religion in science class? Do you actually think those that are not able to publish legitimate research should be given special treatment and still be able to receive tenure? Do you actually think that litigation is the way a legitimate scientific theory would choose to gain acceptance?

ID has been thoroughly debunked by scientists, so creationists recognize they have no chance to gain acceptance other than to force themselves upon the establishment through lying to the public and through pressuring the courts. Of course, they frame the discussion in such dishonest ways as to make it seem like they have been "expelled," when in reality they have been rejected in the same way that thousands of other hypotheses have been rejected when they are not supported by the evidence. They are trying to circumvent the scientific method because they know that's the only way they have a chance.

Do you want your kids being taught born-again style fundamentalism in science class? Why? Would you want your kids being taught Muslim or Hindu creation stories in science class? Why can't we just teach science in science class?
You think this all about Intelligent Design? If you think the issues at play here are that limited, then...
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You think this all about Intelligent Design? If you think the issues at play here are that limited, then...
Yes, this is all about intelligent design. If you think there is some broader meaning here, out with it.

Surely you don't buy into these dopes' efforts to try to make "Big Science" a threat to the first amendment? You do realize that "Big Science" is in fact many thousands of ruthlessly independent thinkers whose greatest dream is to prove all the others wrong about anything?

The creators of this movie are very well-known; there is absolutely no mystery behind their intentions here. They are liars for Jesus, every one. They don't give a rip about the constitution. All they want is for their religious beliefs to gain enough acceptance to be forced onto our kids in science class. This is a missionary effort. Go read the "wedge document" and I bet you'll change your tune.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Looks like the same old hooey to me.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What's the difference between the aim of this movie and the prevailing tone in the religion forum of CougarGuard?

tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
What's the difference between the aim of this movie and the prevailing tone in the religion forum of CougarGuard?

"What I'm asking for is the freedom to follow the evidence where ever it leads ..."

A quote from the preview. I don't know that I will ever see the film but I find the irony of majority of the responses to it's posting interesting.

Last edited by tooblue; 03-04-2008 at 09:28 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sincerely,

Michael Moore